Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have just taken delivery of a new MY09 Saab aero, Stereo wise I went for the 6 CD Head unit. I know I can use an I POD via the aux socket, but is there any way I can get a unit fitted where I can take control of the IPOD via the Stereo unit, ie use stering controls to select songs etc. The Ipod I have is the touch (if that makes a difference).

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
245 Posts
Presently there is only one way to integrate an Ipod into a Saab 9-3 and have it controlled by the headunit, that way is to replace the headunit with an aftermarket on, such as the Kenwood I've fitted in mine.

There are a couple of units offered by companies that plug into the GM headunit, as found in the 2007+ Saab, which offer Ipod integration, but though these work with most other GM cars, they do not work with the Saab headunit.

The only option you have if you want to keep the Saab headunit and control the Ipod, is to use an FM transmitter that has a control unit, such as the Harmon Kardon Drive & Play but even that will need adapting as the FM ariel connections in the Saab are not standard connections.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for that guys, Not exactly the response I was hoping for but not a complete surprise. I can't understand why premium manufacturers are not putting this feature in as standard, or at least as a factory fitted option. MP3 players are everywhere now, and have been for quite a few years.

I am not going to go down the route of complete new headunit install, Although your install looks nice steve!! it is a little too much hassle for me.

Has anyone got either of the 2 after market plug in units mentioned, as both look interesting, and my be a next best thing work around.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the Harmon Kardon Drive Play with the screen by the bits and pieces tray in front of the gear lever and the rotary control hidden in the sliding compartment behind the gear lever. I route the i-pod cable into the centre armrest box and plug the unit into the aux socket (you will probably need to buy a 3.5mm to 3.5 mm cable as this was not supplied, though I did purchase this over a year ago). Power (permanent live and ignition) taken from TEL1, which also powers the parrot bluetooth hands free kit. Not sure if they still make this one as a newer version exists, but I got mine via e-bay for under £30. Rotarycontrol works in a 'similar' way to i-pod control. It's not perfect but works well for what it is and it charges the i-pod and recognises play lists etc. It has various illumination modes including a night mode, which only lights up during manual intervention for about 10 sec or so. I too fail to see why car manufacturers cannot incorporate this into their radios.
Hope this helps
Rick

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Might have a look at that one then, to be honest if I could pick one up for about £30 its not the end of the world if it does not work great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts