Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure someone said recently that white cars were less likely to be involved in an accident.

Not so mine today.

On the way in to work, a gentleman in his Astra (with child in the rear - unstrapped of course) pulled out of a side street into my path - much smoke and screeching later, I stopped without hitting anything, and he kindly drove off without saying sorry.

On the way home, some bearded older (I qualify for a safe driver discount type) gentleman in a new shape Vovlo Estate (big one) passed me on the left on a dual carriagway. I was in traffic so couldn't go any faster. With a gap big enough for possibly a Vlovloid and a half, the said gentleman then immediately pulled in front of me (bless him he was indicating). No hesitation - passed on the left, then straight in front of me. It was one of those when you just can't believe that someone has just done that. Flashed him a few times to let him know I was there, but he was far too engrossed in conversation with his passengers to notice. When I eventually passed the vlovov, he had obviously not been aware of the incident at all. He was still indicating right after about half a mile back in the correct (left) lane. I Must have been in his blind spot. Those cars must have big blind spots if he couldn't see a big Saab out of his drivers window as he undertook me! Or maybe my car is invisible!

Yes, that's it. Even though I had my sidelights on, on both occasions when the majority of cars had no lights on at all, no-one can see me! There can be no other explanation.

Finally, some chap in his 2.8 Granada objected to me leaving him for dead at some traffic lights, and insisted on passing me in a bus lane, before cutting me up to pull back into the right lane.

I should leave the Saab at home. Maybe not - anyone got some Bull Bars? Or a snow plough? Bonnet Mounted Uzi 9mm's? ;-)

One good thing came out of it - I managed to keep calm in all three incidents - no road rage - just disbelief.

Enjoyed my drive today despite this!

Kevin Mc
Intact 1991 9000 Carlsson 2.3T

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
A study from some years ago revealed that white cars, per capita, where statistically more likely to be stopped by the police for speeding - although this was long before Maurice left his photographic legacy for us!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loads of police out in Leicester again today - I was paranoid I'd get stopped, but wasn't. I always feel guilty when I pass the police for some reason!

When I was young, I was stopped quite regularly by the police. Don't seem to attract the attention anymore - bit like with women!! Ho, ho ;-))The police must know that us Saab drivers are all nice chaps / chapesses!

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I think the hardest to see are cars at the red end of the spectrum (Which/AA report years ago). A year or so ago I had a red car which was shunted in the rear by a lady who didn't see me stop at the lights. However, you may be right about white cars because that's what she was driving and I never saw her coming.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John - you've lost me with the Maurice reference. What's that all about?

sgould - probably just as well you didn't see her. Think you automatically tense up when you see something coming - I believe you're more likely to be injured if you're tense as opposed to relaxed.

Worst accident I was in, I was driving a pale blue Ford Orion. That was nothing to do with colour though - I could have had hundreds of neon flashing lights on a luminescent pink car, and the 80 something lady in the Volvo 340 would still not have seen me, as she pulled out of a side road into my path. Hit her car so hard, the Volvo did a complete 360 degree turn before stopping. It was that bad, her passenger offered to be my witness!

At least I'm now driving the right car to have a accident in!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
kprm 77,it has nowt to do with colour,every now and then every driver,no matter what colour or size the vehicle is that he or she drives, will have a day of invisability.
I have monitered this phenominan over meny years and found on that day even pedestrians cannot see a brightly coloured articulated truck and will happily step in front of one.
Even this morning on the A38 just south of Derby,A woman in a Volks Polo with three unrestrained children ,failed to notice a Leyland Daf aproaching at 55mph,so she pulled out of a side road infront of it,in fairness she was busy on the phone.My thanks to the Vectra driver that managed to give me enough road to make a third line and miss the silly c**.sorry.young lady.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
as red's got the loudest frequency[/b]
I'm not sure if you mean that there are more red cars or that there is something to do with red in the colour spectrum?

Regardless, it was made clear at the time that despite there being more red cars on the road than any other colour, this was taken into account, so statistically speaking each colour would be expected to be pulled the same number of times - but they found white was pulled more.

/john

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Suppose I've had a lot of near misses - though have been lucky enough to have not been involved in an accident since 1996, when I had 2 accidents in 3 months!

One one a stolen car which pulled out of a junction into my path giving me nowhere to go.

The second was just weird. You know how you see something like a plastic carrier bag, and you go over it without thinking? Well now I try to avoid anything in the road if I can.

Driving at no more than 30 mph, I saw a plaggie bag in the road, thought nothing of it, so drove over the top of it. Massive crunch later - now ubable to engage 2nd and 4th gears. Turned out to be an iron vice in a plaggie bag lying in the middle of the road. That was a new gearbox!

I didn't count either of these "accidents" as my fault, but there was no-one to claim against :-(

The ABS in the Saabs I've owned have saved me more than once! Usually it has come on before I've realised it was even losing grip!

Kevin Mc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts