Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a common problem, but is there a way of fixing the internal boot release?
Mine operates correctly when you push the button but it doesn't stay released for long enough.
I can't get to the back of the car in time.

Is it a relay, switch or small circuit somwhere?

Skiddins

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummm, well yes, but i didn't think the hatchback models 'sprung' open when the button was pressed, i thought it just electrically released the latching mechanism so it could be opened.

I can hear the mechanism working when the button is depressed, but i can also hear it retracting as soon as my finger comes off the button.

Skiddins

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is exactly what mine does too. You have to be pretty quick to lift the tailgate even if you use the key. I always assumed it was just an annoying 'feature'.
I was planning on trying to incorporate a time delay circuit to keep the latch open for longer. Shouldn't be too difficult with a 555 if the Saabs wiring is accommodating. It's on my list of things to do, just not near the top, anyone else already have a fix?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure i've seen other Saab's with the same button etc that do hold it the lock open for a few seconds before releasing (I can't remember where though!), therby giving enough time to walk to the boot.

Skiddins

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero owner:
[qb]QUOTE
The boot on the CD doesn't spring open but the lock stays disengaged until the bootlid is opened and closed again. Is this the same as the system on the CS?[/b]
Yes[/qb][/b][/quote]erm No....
unless my memory is really bad, the CD does spring open, though only slightly, the hatch on the CS does not move at all.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If i've pressed the button on my aero, the only way to close the boot (turn out that dash warning light) is to get out and lift and close the boot.

It opens just enough not to lock again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Scaero, so will it just lift without using the key if you hit the release button and walk round?
Looks as if Skiddins and myself may really have a problem. Mine stays solid, no warning light etc. It does get released though, if someone is stood at the hatch it can be lifted whilst the button is pressed, so the problem is not with the release motor, maybe the gas struts are not quite as strong as they should be?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
erm No....
unless my memory is really bad, the CD does spring open, though only slightly, the hatch on the CS does not move at all.  [/b]
Oi! I do own one you know, I'm not saying that they don't differ across the MF years but I do know my own car!

Is suppose this is purely a matter of sematics, but by "pop-up" I would assume you mean that the boot lid actually rises? My doesn't, pressing the button ONLY disengages the lock, maybe it's meant to spring up, but for whatever reason it doesn't. It's possible to press the switch and drive off without realising, the indication being that the corresponding light on the HUD is illuminated.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
On my 1994 CSE, the boot release (either key or internal) allows the boot to open just enough to prevent it relocking. As soon as the key or the button are released, the mechanism goes back to the locked position, so it the boot is low enough to engage, it will relock. My boot takes quite a deliberate attempt to shut. I suspect it is just the seals that lift the lid a couple of millimetres. If the boot lock was adjusted (the bit on the car body moved upwards) so that it was easier to shut, perhaps it's not compressing the seals enough, and so the lid does not move enough when released. I suggest a small adjustment to make the lid shut tighter may well cure your problems.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Oi! I do own one you know, I'm not saying that they don't differ across the MF years but I do know my own car!    [/b]
blimey, put my foot in it again

my 'erm no..' was aimed at scaero's 'yes' because my hatch does not move not because, oh eck now I'm confused
anyway, curiosity got the better of me and armed with a torch and a 13mm spanner I've just adjusted the bump stops on my aero. Now my hatch releases itself when the release is pressed
... and to think until now I'd thought Saab had overlooked something

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh the irony!!

I tried the internal release earlier while cleaning it and it did open slightly!!.....but not everytime!

I will adjust the rubber stops to give them a bit more pressure to 'pop' the boot.

The gas struts will have virtually no effect due to the angle they are at when the boot is closed (they are trying to push the boot lid backwards not up)

I have raised the rubbers before to eliminate a sqeaking when on rough roads.

Hopefully the rubbers should be all that is required but I'll come back and tell you when i've tried it.

Thanks
Skiddins

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I'd be a bit careful about raising the stops as this might lead to water ingress. It might be better to lower the part of the lock that is attached to the car (the striker plate), thereby making it shut tighter rather than slacker. My boot moves less than 1mm when opened, but it needs to be shut firmly to engage the lock.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Even if the electrical solenoid/circuit fails completely you can still open mechanically if you turn the key a bit harder.
This is because after operating the electrical microswitch if turned further it then pulls on a cable and then releases the lock.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have noticed now that i have made some adjustments, that once everything is set up to work everytime i press the button, there is a dull 'knock' sound for the lock as it is released (because it is now under slight pressure which forces the boot to open slightly when the button is pressed)
THis sound did not occur before, i only go the sound of the electrical sound of the mechanism going back and forth.

Skiddins

1 - 20 of 20 Posts