Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I have a '95 Aero, with a vent problem. Had a look through previous posts and haven't seen anything quite the same problem. Basically the interior ventilation has started running at full speed, regardless of what the ACC is doing. I can even turn the ACC off, and the vents continue to run at full speed. The only way to stop them is remove the fuse.

I got the ACC to do a self-dianostic, but it returns no errors - and it does seem to be functioning fine for temperature, etc. So why would the fans be running flat-out? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Benn

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Benn, your fan speed controller has died. It is mounted on top of the heater A/C unit under the cover at the rear of the engine. New ones are quite expensive, about £150 if I remember correctly. I tried a second hand one, but that was a mistake as it died quite quickly. There was a post somewhere on this board about how to repair the unit, but I'd already bought a new one by then, so I can't comment.

As you are a Sydneysider, perhaps you could comment on this problem , as I'm sure you must run around in seriously warm weather with the air con working as hard as your turbo. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi,
Just a quick question along these lines. My ACC unit has been doing weird things since I bought the car and I would like to know how to have it run the self diagnostic mentioned earlier. Also the fan makes very strange noises especially at high speed. I understand that is a common problem for 9000's but was also wondering if anyone has found a DIY cure?
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John,

To get the ACC to run the self-diagnostic - with it turned on, press both the auto and <- -> (bottom right button) and hold for about 1 second. The temperature will change to 0, and the unit will go through its moves (LEDs against the vent controls will light up in sequence as the unit tests each function). It will display a number between 0-5 if any errors are found. If none found it will revert to the temperature setting. I think this info is contained in the manual under "Calibration" and also in more detail in previous posts.
Cheers
Benn

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks Benn,
I ran the ACC diagnostic last night as instructed and it came back with the #1 for about a 1/2 second then reverted back to the
temperature previously in the window. Does anyone know what a "1 code" refers to?
Thanks for the help

John

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
It means simply that "one" of the sensors is not working properly. Which one is another matter. If the system is malfunctioning in some obvious way, then you might be able to work out what's wrong. Otherwise, I suspect that you'll need some form of computer interrogation assistance.

I've only has this problem once, on a chum's car, but we soon found that the interior temperature sensor had been disconnected by the previous owner as it did not work. Strangely enough, the system did not work any better with it disconnected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.