Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
As for plumbing in - on a c900 for instance it would be extremely simple, just put it in the turbo-IC pipe run. Resorting to a bigger air/air IC will nearly always mean completely re-doing the pipe runs with the associated cutting and relocating of components --- EVS

I don't know for certain, but I have taken a few measurements. I think it could be done without any replumbing. You would just have a slightly different location on the end tanks for the inlet and outlet on the intercooler.

You're right about Diesels running cooler. I think that might have been part of the reason. On a gasoline engine I would think the coolant temps just wouldn't be low enough to make it practical. And so many owners have trouble with overheating as is, adding more heat to the cooling system might not be the best idea (even if it wouldn't be very much).

If you want to try it and give us the results though that'd be really cool. Never know, could always work.

Yours Truly,
Dubbya

·
Registered
836 Posts
Has anyone else tried 'external water injection' as used on some 80's rally cars?
I fitted a water spray system to the outside of the intercooler of a Lancia turbo I once owned and this seemed to reduce the power drop-off on frequent boost (boot?) applicatons.
I have to say that on my standard spec. Saab, living in cold damp Britain, I don't really notice much difference on successive accelerations, whereas the Lancia was really poor by the time you'd booted it 3 or 4 times.

My 'system' was just a spray nozzle, small supply bottle and washer pump switched through the throttle microswitch.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The Lancer Evo VI I once drove had an intercooler water spray system. Made for a nice effect when using the spray (a 'fog'screen not unlike 007's smokescreen, only at the front - good for intimidating would-be rivals at traffic lights ) but as it was late autumn and I'm in The Netherlands, I can't really say I noticed any difference 'before' and 'after'...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I think it's mainly for drag racing, or for long repeated high hp low speed runs where the already large intercooler would be insufficient. For drag racing it's nice because it adds some thermal "weight" to the intercooler. Which helps making it harder to heat soak even when you're not moving. Of course I will likely make something similar as I like to be able to keep my intake cool even on very hot days here. Seems like a good idea.

Cheers,
Dubbya

·
Registered
778 Posts
This is from MacInness (I prefer MacInness to Corky Bell as he seems to write with an engineering perspective) in his book on turbocharging: "According to Kinsler, in certain applications, parallel-core (having the charge split through two separate intercoolers) can lower the mixture velocity so much that poor intercooler effectiveness results. Kinsler always uses series (one cooler feeding into another) installations for any engine displacing less than 400 c.i.'s."

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I would imagine it depends on the lengths of the intercoolers, two very short intercoolers side by side wouldn't cool well at all. But the Viggen unit is very long and another one of equal length welded to it shouldn't have any real adverse effects.

Yours Truly,
Dubbya

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
A double length intercooler will give a lot more pressure drop that may not be recovered by the cooling?

May also increase lag?

Not a pneumatics expert, water is my thing really.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Double length would not be good for such a long intercooler. I meant double width or height for the Viggen unit. However if you had a very stubby intercooler welding two lengthwise might increase the cooling enough to make up for the additional pressure drop. Just depends on the IC unit.

Yours Truly,
Dubbya

61 - 68 of 68 Posts