Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watch and episode of Autoweek and they had a preview on the new Subaru STI. As you probably know it is 2.5L and 300 hp, but what I found interesting was that it comes equipped with an intercooler sprayer. They didn’t give any details about it, just showed a button on the console and said that it activated an intercooler sprayer for extra power. I believe that pushing the button activates the sprayer, which I think would be distracting to do during full throttle runs.

I find this rather interesting that Subaru would do this. I did some research on intercooler sprayers a while ago and reached the conclusion that they are not very efficient. Either wasting a lot of water or not reacting quickly enough to have much effect. Which is why I chose water injection for my 900 SE.

I know that it is not directly Saab related but I was wondering what the rest of you thought about it.

For more info on intercooler sprayers check out this link.
http://www.autospeed.com/A_0527/cms/article.html

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
This may sound a silly suggestion but why do people not fit an electric fan infront of intercoolers? Surely the added airflow will keep it cool?
Just a thought!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Wonder if there's be a benefit to fan cooling the IC on a 9-3? Anyone have any views?

(I've got a week off and need an excuse not to start decorating)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by Julian:
[qb]Wonder if there's be a benefit to fan cooling the IC on a 9-3? Anyone have any views?

(I've got a week off and need an excuse not to start decorating) [/qb][/b]
Well if you've got A/C you should have twin fans...
could wire a switch in and try it....?Although they are back mounted, not sure it would have same effect

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Nope, just the one fan on the 9-3 and since the intercooler sits pretty low in front off the rads I don't think it will have much effect:

(ERP's 900)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I would have though it might be better to spray it with an inert gas - CO2 for example which presumably is quite cold under pressure and would presumably drop the air temp inside the intercooler quite quickly?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by LocoSaab:
[qb]I would have though it might be better to spray it with an inert gas - CO2 for example which presumably is quite cold under pressure and would presumably drop the air temp inside the intercooler quite quickly? [/qb][/b]
There already is a system that does this. It is from Nitrous XPress. I believe it is called the N-Ter Cooler. It uses a CO2 bottle, the same as a nitrous bottle and a rail that gets mounted in front of your intercooler. At the press of a button, it sprays the intercooler with the gas. And I am noot entirely sure, however, I am sure you can have it boost pressure operated as well. I do think it would be most beneficial prior to wanting full power to give it a few seconds to cool the intercooler.

The gas can be quite warm inside the bottle when it is compressed. It is when it rapidly expands, that it cools very rapidly. It is all a matter of physics.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Using a fan to cool the intercooler is only really of benefit on the c900 where the I/C isn't really in a very good airstream.

With a front mounted intercooler, between the headlamps, the air stream as the car moves forwards is more than sufficient.

Mounting a radiator fan infront of the intercooler isn't a particularly good idea. A radiator cooling fan only provides an airflow of around 20mph. If the car is moving quicker than this then the rotating fan will actually impede the air flow to the intercooler.

·
Registered
312 Posts
By the time you purchase additional fans, switches, wiring,CO2 injectors, Water injectors,etc; wouldn't it be more cost effective to just install an Abbott or Speedparts racing IC?
More of a question I guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts