Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much talk about it for some considerable time, I finally got around to installing an intercooler spray system to my 9000

Once the front grill was off, there was plenty of space to install the necessary spray jets and a bracket to support them.

One of the first things I did was relocate the "horns". I can sort of understand the logic behind the location of them, but they do seem to cover 10-15% of the area of the intercooler.

I decided to use the existing washer reservoir for the water supply, along with 3 garden centre mist jets, which are fixed to an aluminium bracket and run between the two supports in front of the intercooler. I may well install a seperate water bag at some point

Currently the spray is manually activated by a small switch position to the left of the speaker grill (drivers side)

I am due for a RR day within the next couple of weeks so will report back if it actually works!

I have pictures available of what I did if anyone else is interested!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have thought of doing something similar.
Either intercooler spray or a water injection system.

With either plan I think I'd get a pre 93 washer fluid reservoir (it was in front of the battery instead of hidden in the fender) That way I'd be using a stock part in a stock place keeping it a little stealthier. Not only that, but you get the additional use of the low fluid warning sensor.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'll be interested to see how effective this is as in theory it should provide a bit of extra cooling - although I would have thought you would need a fair volume of water to do the job effectively. Also, you would end up spraying it with quite warm water when using an underbonnet tank too?
If I was doing it I'd probably try and rig up a switch under the accelerator pedal so that it only sprayed on or near full throttle otherwise I doubt the water container would last very long.
Very interested to hear the results though

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FAERO, from what research I have done, having the spray triggered by full throttle is generally too late in the cycle.

The idea being to actually cool the intercooler with a fine mist prior to using full throttle, so for the mark 1 edition it stays with a manual control, until I can think of a better way to trigger it.

I hear what you are saying about the reservoir being possibly warmed by the under bonnet temps, I havent measured the temp after a good thrash, but I feel sure it cant be that warm, certainly I doubt it will be in excess of 30c.

I have so far in two weeks of the spray used around 3pints of water (including window screen cleaning). So IMHO its not too bad and of course the finer the spray mist the better the system should work and the less water it should use

I really think the true measure will probably come next summer when the ambient temp picks up more, also its possible just moving the horns has more effect than the spray!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If that's the case then the manual switch is the way forward - although you could run for say 5mins from the first use of full throttle - Downside being that it wont be chilled from the outset.
Do you still use windscreen cleaner fluid in with the spray? This might actually have more chilling effect than the water, although things may get a bit messy/smelly.
Moving the horns sounds like a good idea regardless so I'll probably do that.
Have you found the performance to be any better yet? Although I think you are correct in that it will really only show good effect in hot weather.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am at present just running pure water in the reservoir, but may well switch to an alcohol based fluid at some point, as it may have a slightly better cooling effect.

I havent noticed any real change to performance as yet.

I am pretty sure that the most heat soak can be generated through the lower gears, especially second, and at present its just too damp to really gun it hard....

As soon as its dry enough outside Ill let you know

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
but may well switch to an alcohol based fluid at some point, as it may have a slightly better cooling effect.[/b]
Alcohol mist spray onto intercooler with red hot exhaust/turbo behind might not be too good?? I'd stay with the water.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is interesting. At the weekend I removed the front A/C condenser as I had a faulty A/C pump and didn't think the expense to replace was worth it. Anyway, as I was there I noticed that the horns did seem to be in the way, I moved them down and out of the way onto the large metal thing lower down. I then removed the plastic gubbins behind the grille.

Since I have done this the car feels much livelier, mainly due to the condenser removal I think. As to the spray onto the intercooler, it makes sense but I can't say that the car has been any different when it is raining. The best conditions always seem to be cold and dry.

Dave.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by marino:
[qb]Since I have done this the car feels much livelier, mainly due to the condenser removal I think. [/qb][/b]
Yes, that is correct- the condenser forms a significant barrier to air flow through the IC.

One things about water sprays though- I would recommend you invest in distilled water as over a prolonged period of time you can get scale build up from any hardness. I found this to be the case with my water injection and buy 25l containers now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts