Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to do my first Intercooler removal on the '95 aero so i can get it leak tested. I've also got a spare one just incase it does fail.

is there any problems i should now about or does any one have any tricks to make the job easier.

thanks

Gareth

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by flightless:
[qb]I am about to do my first Intercooler removal on the '95 aero so i can get it leak tested. I've also got a spare one just incase it does fail.
[/qb][/b]
Curious to know what problems or symptoms you are experiencing with the car to make you think you might have an air leak from the intercooler....?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've found the best way to remove the IC is thru the bottom. The plastic valences beneath the vehicle have to be removed, anyway, in order to remove the two lower screws that attach the AC condenser to the IC. Also, you wont have to remove the radiator or any of the hoses, although the radiator and oil cooler will have to be tipped backed towards the engine. This means that the front of the car should be placed up on jack stands, in order to have enough room to drop the IC down and out. However, this method will save a lot of time because you don't have to drain the cooling system, nor remove the oilcooler from the radiator. This method worked well for me when I replaced the stock IC with a 50 mm Kylar Jonsson. The trickiest bit is removing the bottom valence - the fasteners that hold it in place see a lot of salt, and hence, corrosion. It might be a good idea to stock-up on some new ones in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys,

well aeropilot - i was told it was leaking by the Saab garage (Haymill to be exact) and it was way too expensive to get them to do it myself. I decided that i had some spare time coming up and it's something i haven't done before so thought i would take it out and see if they were right (and given the price IC's go for on ebay i decided it was worth buying one from the saab parts guys in case i need it and then if not resell it on) and symptoms are a long story but this one is low boost (5-6 psi instead of 12ish and no power - does get better in cold damp weather though)

Stephen: i agree but thought what the hell i needed to do something ;-)

And thanks Robert that sounds the sensible option.

regards

F'less (Gareth)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
[qb]well aeropilot - i was told it was leaking by the Saab garage (Haymill to be exact) [/qb][/b]
I wonder if it's been danaged at some point, previous accident maybe, stone or debris damage...???
Must be very rare for an intercooler to fail...?

Shame you can't stretch the budget to a high flow one as these really make a difference to an Aero...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wish i could too, i was on the trail on a 2nd hand Abbott one but the guy had decided to keep it:( stone damage is very possible i do high mileage mostly on motorways and the debris you pick up is unbeleivable (i'm sure even 5 years ago it wasn't as bad as it is now)

first 'mod' if i can get the car boosting again will be to change the bushes for poly ones - and then move on up

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think you are pretty safe with poly butterfly wish bone and rear antiroll bar bushes these improve steering response and handling.The anti roll bar bushes are cheap and easy to put on,the butter fly bushes have to be extracted and new ones pressed back in there into there housing.They can be bought already done by Abbott but cost £115 plus VAT.I think poly to other bits can cause noise and vibration and harshness,do some searches

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'd agree with jig's comments above. I've experienced other poly bushes and found they add a fair bit of vibration. Everyone's different though, with varying thoughts as to what is acceptable. But, if you like your Aero to remain comfortable and smooth I'd stay clear of anything poly around the front of the car except the rear wishbone bushes.
Nick.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by cdcarlsson:
[qb]But, if you like your Aero to remain comfortable and smooth I'd stay clear of anything poly around the front of the car except the rear wishbone bushes.
[/qb][/b]
And I'd avoid even them. I've just changed my Superflex ones back to new Saab rubber because of vibration. Powerflex are, by repute, a bit softer so might be better, but I've not tried them.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
On my old 9000 Aero, I had the Abbott Racing front butterfly bushes, front ARB bushes and the rear ARB bushes.
That was fine and with no real extra vibration issues, but, I wouldn't have wanted any more ploy than that.
In, fact I had been considering replacing the front ARB bushes and going back to Saab rubber ones.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm, Thanks guys - worth keeping in mind. Having a look round it does seem that everyone says the butterfly wishbone bushes is a must change and the anti roll bar is next - i guess there would still be benifit changing the other bushes for new rubber ones ?
Cheers

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
[qb]everyone says the butterfly wishbone bushes is a must change and the anti roll bar is next[/qb][/b]
In my experience there's a great benefit in changing worn butterfly bushes for new rubber ones, and they're dirt cheap and you don't need to press anything in or out. Nor will you risk any additional harshness. Just another thing to think about before you decide whether to go the poly route.

However, I found poly rear anti-roll bar bushes sharpened up the turn-in of the car and appeared to have no noticeable disadvantages at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks BillJ, just looked at the price for rubber wishbone bushes and i see what you mean! - and it has the added benifit of having a spare frame to push my polys in to if i decide to go that route.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.