Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My insurance is due for renewal soon and I've been doing the annual agony of ringing around for quotes. I am having great difficulty in getting through to some of these call centre clots just what my car actually is.
They ask me is it an "ECO" and I say no because it's a full pressure turbo but then I have to tell them it's not an Anniversary, neither is it an Aero and they're stumped. The problem seems to stem from the fact that Saab originally labelled the LPTs "Ecopower" when they were introduced but at a later date applied the term "Ecopower" to all turbo models. I can quite happily let them quote me for an "ECO" model but if I subsequently made a claim I bet they would tell that I had misiformed them and void my insurance. Does anyone else have this difficulty?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Derek:
[qb]The problem seems to stem from the fact that Saab originally labelled the LPTs "Ecopower" when they were introduced but at a later date applied the term "Ecopower" to all turbo models. I can quite happily let them quote me for an "ECO" model but if I subsequently made a claim I bet they would tell that I had misiformed them and void my insurance. Does anyone else have this difficulty? [/qb][/b]
I'd tell them, in writing, exactly what you say above. I.e. that is labelled an ECO, it is a FPT. Then you haven't misinformed them.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Originally posted by Soulhand:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb] The problem seems to stem from the fact that Saab originally labelled the LPTs "Ecopower" when they were introduced but at a later date applied the term "Ecopower" to all turbo models. I can quite happily let them quote me for an "ECO" model but if I subsequently made a claim I bet they would tell that I had misiformed them and void my insurance. Does anyone else have this difficulty? [/qb][/b]
I'd tell them, in writing, exactly what you say above. I.e. that is labelled an ECO, it is a FPT. Then you haven't misinformed them. [/qb][/b][/quote]I found with Admiral (and quite a few online quotes) that if you enter the reg number it has all the car spec / details...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

quote:
The problem seems to stem from the fact that Saab originally labelled the LPTs "Ecopower" when they were introduced but at a later date applied the term "Ecopower" to all turbo models. I can quite happily let them quote me for an "ECO" model but if I subsequently made a claim I bet they would tell that I had misiformed them and void my insurance. Does anyone else have this difficulty?

I'd tell them, in writing, exactly what you say above. I.e. that is labelled an ECO, it is a FPT. Then you haven't misinformed the[/b]
The trouble is it's NOT labelled an ECO.
It's all very well telling them in writing but that takes time and all I want is a quote. If I accept the quote and then tell them that it is an FTP and not an LPT they will up the premium by which time it might be too late to seek another insurer.
As Ant9000turbo states many of the on-line quotes get the car details from the reg. no. but the call centre numptys either don't seem to have access to that (which is maybe not a bad thing)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the Admiral tip! I was 25 in January and when I last spoke to them to shop around, they wouldn't insure me (saying I was too young to have a gp 17 car, which is what mine is - 96 CSE FPT auto). Just phoned them up and got a quote of 640pa, which is 300 odd quid less than my current which is with direct line! Curiously, if I put my mum on my insurance with me (she's 54) it drops by 40 quid. Weird eh?!?

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you use an online system, most insurers sites will get the car details if you put in the reg number. www.insuresupermarket.co.uk is a good place as it searches through a panel of leading insurers and gets you the best prices and you have to put in your details just once. I have found that using online systems are much better than speaking to call center employees who do not have much knowledge of cars. You can't expect them to understand the diff between LPT, FPT and Ecopower. They sometimes don't even understand that 1985 cc is the same as 2.0 (well I know numerically they are slightly different).

G

·
Another site worth a try is www.confused.com I got my best quote from them then my current insurer(Churchill) beat it . You have to enter a lot of details and might have to re-submit to get quotes from all insurers but definately worth a go.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
[qb]My insurance is due for renewal soon and I've been doing the annual agony of ringing around for quotes. I am having great difficulty in getting through to some of these call centre clots just what my car actually is.....

I can quite happily let them quote me for an "ECO" model but if I subsequently made a claim I bet they would tell that I had misiformed them and void my insurance. Does anyone else have this difficulty? [/qb][/b]
Derek - I've had similar situations. Let them quote you for what they think it is. When they send you the proposal form check it very, very carefully. If anything is incorrect, annotate and correct it.

They then have a choice, re-evaluate the risk a quote a new premium or accept the risk. You have disclosed all material facts and if they have chosen to accept the cover then that is their lookout.

This was advised to me by my broker after what I had said and what came through on proposal form differed. I, again, disclosed correct material facts and the proposal form was accepted.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Originally posted by slidejules:
[qb]Thanks for the Admiral tip! I was 25 in January and when I last spoke to them to shop around, they wouldn't insure me (saying I was too young to have a gp 17 car, which is what mine is - 96 CSE FPT auto). Just phoned them up and got a quote of 640pa, which is 300 odd quid less than my current which is with direct line! Curiously, if I put my mum on my insurance with me (she's 54) it drops by 40 quid. Weird eh?!? [/qb][/b]
Exactly the same for me, once I turned 25, with admiral the price really dropped...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm 25 and although my car is the LPT I only pay 400quid with priviledge who are partnered with directline(fully comp with 8yrsNCB and 3pts). My last car was a group18 and they insured me from the age of 22 for no more than 600pa this came down to 450 before I tried a Saab. Worth a call. Also if you get a quote off another company normally if you get back to your present insurer they would try and match it, this is what I found with priviledge.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i was insured with adrian flux on my 2.0 cse lpt and at renewal i called norwich union for a quote on that vehicle very reasonable but then i was offered a 2.0 carlsson fpt which for some strange reason was the same price to insure, what really confused me was when i went and actually bought a 2.3 cd carly that this yet again was the same price. i could only assume as a new customer they wanted my business and i was deffinately not going to argue give them a try

·
Registered
71 Posts
Derek
I have just done the rounds to insure my '96 CSE ftp.
Go for an online quote but do it this way:

First go to Tesco's website (yes the supermarket) and enter your details. Leave it for a few hours (insurance companies talk to each other). Then go to other websites including the big boys and Directline.
Then try the Esure site.
I got mine down to £332 with very good benefits.

I agree some of them don't know the difference between lpt and fpt, in this case I let them call mine an Aero.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm currently insured with Tesco but they haven't sent out my renewal yet, it's due on the 14th of next month and I'm just getting quotes now so I don't have to do it all in a few days.
Insuresupermarket.co.uk doesn't work for me because it only understands Windoze operating systems (I use Macs both at home and ay work). I tried Admiral last night and they gave me a favourable quote at £254 as did Norwich Union.
I tried Esure last year and they wouldn't insure me - said the car was too high a group!
Thanks for the advice guys. My real gripe was that these insurance people just could not understand what model of car I actually have.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have always been insured with direct line. They have quoted me £440 to renew in April which I always thought was pretty good for a 1995 Aero, 3points for sppeding.

Just been on the elphant site and they have quoted me £334 which sems stupidly cheaper to what I thought was a decent deal anyway.

Does this seem right with any Aero drivers and has anyone any dealings with elephant/what is their reputation like etc.

Cheers
Ant

·
Registered
968 Posts
Originally posted by Anthony B:
[qb]Just been on the elphant site and they have quoted me £334 which sems stupidly cheaper to what I thought was a decent deal anyway.
[/qb][/b]
Thats good. The only thing with elephant is that you cant pay over the months by DD, you have to do a one off payment. Elephant are a sister company of Admiral, so any quote you get off of elephant, aparently it will be about the same with Admiral except that with Admiral you can spread the payments with DD...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by Anthony B:
[qb]Does this seem right with any Aero drivers and has anyone any dealings with elephant/what is their reputation like etc.

[/qb][/b]
Hello all,

I have been with Elephant.co.uk for a few years and found them cheap, and suspiciously helpful for an insurance company! Everything was great until a toerag decided to swipe my dreadful Saab standard tape player and smash the window/jemmie the wooden dash. Then Elephant.co.uk became just like any other insurance company - the claim procedure is extremely tedious, and the repair was substandard twice, resulting in much aggro and I'll be moving company at renewal next month!

absgt
1997 9000 CSE 2.3t Anniversary
1990 9000 2.0T

PS ESure won't insure me with either car as I am under 30. Perhaps you have to be Michael Winner's age to qualify...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Welcome to Saabscene absgt!      [/qb][/b]
Thank you!

[O/T] I've been lurking a while, but now the Saab bug has really caught me. I've been driving some other cars since I bought my latest 9000 and hadn't appreciated just how well it is designed and built. My '97 has done 181,000 miles (of which I've done 45,000 in 18 months) and it is fabulous!

Rgds,

absgt

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.