Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to sort out insurance ahead of a stage 1 brain implant (= I'll just put you on hold (for half an hour) while I call the underwriters).

I've had an interesting quote from Hastings Direct. Has anyone any experience of them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
They gave me a great quote for the first year I was with them for motorbike insurance. Then it went back to a standard sort of rate. The certificate of insurance turned up promptly, which is more than can be said of Performance Direct (three months and many phone calls - I'll never go back to them).
I didn't have to claim from Hastings Direct(thankfully) so I can't comment further. I'd put them on the 'should be OK' pile.
Nick.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You say 'interesting quote' - My cross check is usually to use elephant online. They have a modifications section where you tick the appropriate change (eg +10% power) etc.
Worth a look to compare prices.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I recently (last October) used Liverpool & Victoria, but someone posted recently that they no longer accepted modified cars. At the time, they charged no additional premium. I paid about £370 for a 2.0t 9-5. My only enhancement is the Saab 192bhp upgrade.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did try Elephant online, and it told me to phone them! Maybe it's something about me, and not the car.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called Elephant only to be told that they will not cover cars with a power upgrade. I'm beginning to think someone's got it in for me.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm not very impressed with hastings direct. My wife insured her Toledo with them and had to make a claim for a £3000 repair. It was clearly not her fault, but Hastings went 50/50 to save the cost of persuing the other insurer at Libby's expense. Maybe they all do that. They then declined to insure her when the car was fitted with a plug-in tuning box (+20bhp)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
elephant have a check box for modifications and were ok to insure me. I ended up going with Chris Knott who are excellent (helpful and efficient) although I hevent tried to claim yet.
I think I paid £500 for my stage 3/modded 9k aero, 28, full NCB, surrey - which I though was very good.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mark B, i had my first 9k insured under Hastings Direct, the car was unfortunately stolen after 6 weeks and subsequently found stripped of everything a further 6 weeks later. They offered me half of the price i paid for it, and put every obstacle they could in the way of paying out. After 3 months i finally settled with them, (after a great deal of correspondence)and still ended up losing £500 on the deal. I would never insure a vehicle with them ever again.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]unreservedly reccomend frizzells

£300 for aermonster all mods declared

and really nice on the phone too... [/qb][/b]
Unfortunately George i think this might be the last year you (and i) insure a modded car with them as there has been a big shake up in there 'insuring modified cars for no additinal premium'.
This year will be the last yeat they are doing this and all new business they take on is for no power increases.
It is well documented on a 200SX owners club forum where a senior underwriter (iirc) came on the forum and stated the above.
Shame really

Pete.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes, afraid so - found out last week that they were not at all interested in a modified Saab. I went back to Greenlight (which was only £75 more than Frizzells base price anyway (there are advantages to being a BOF))

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Think they will loose quite a bit of business as I am currently insured with them for a tad over £500 on street in a fairly high risk postcode.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi people

Has any one tired Adrian Flux Insurance - they quoted me £460 for a Viggen conv. I live in a high crime area and have 5y NCB.

Aly

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Aly:
[qb]Has any one tired Adrian Flux Insurance - they quoted me £460 for a Viggen conv. I live in a high crime area and have 5y NCB.
[/qb][/b]
They have a reputation for being rather disorganised when it comes to paper work. Justified enough, in my experience (although that was a few years ago) that I wouldn't want to use them - my suspicion is that things could go pear-shaped in the event of a claim.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts