Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Got a '96 9000CS non turbo with 74,000 on it. All panels straight and in general very good condition,.... until last friday.
I planted it into the back of a new Mini at slow speed, I slammed on the brakes, the nose dived and her bumper hit my grille and lights....
Waited a week and had heard nothing from Churchill [insurers] or Reg Vardy [repairers], so rang them on Goog Friday.
"Oh" she said, "appears to be on his probable write off pile"
damn!!
Will talk to Vardy on Tuesday, and it still needs to be seen by the insurance companies assessor, but to prepare for the worst what procedures do you need to go thru to do a buyback??

Damage:
One headlight
Two headlight wipers assemblies
1 grille
Bumper?? may be paintable
The panel behind the grille and infront of the radiator.
Wings appear uncreased
Bonnet appears straight but is now a few mm down on the passenger side and up a few mm on the drivers side.

Damn, ****** £$%%&*£ etc etc
Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Mike - sorry to hear about this

If it is a write-off then its sounds like an economic write-off since parts and labour are likely to exceed two-thirds of the market value of the vehicle.

Don't accept their first offer - but if it is written off you may be able to buy it back from them and undertake the repairs at your own expense ...if you want to.

Good luck

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks /John,

Vardy are a main dealer, I'm sure an independant bodyshop would be a lot cheaper..

if its just panel/lights damage and the front end is not bent, myself and a mechanic friend will attempt the job using 2nd/hand salvage parts.

Mike

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Sorry to hear that Mike .

I recently had a prang too and initially went down the so called "approved" repairer route. When I heard how much they were quoting, I asked my insurers could I get an alternative quote from my indy garage. Result? A saving of around 35%.

If the front end is not actually bent, then I would say it's definitely worth getting an alternative quote- you don't have to use your insurers preferred company.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Don't forget that if it is written off it will be listed on the insurers register as a Category D write off.

This means you have to declare this to any insurer. If it is the same insurer that wrote the car off then there should be no problem, but other insurers simply won't touch the car with a barge pole.

You also have to tell any prospective buyer that the car is listed on the insurers register, it is illegal to sell the car otherwise.

Write offs may also have to be specially inspected before being allowed back on the road

I'm not an expert on this, just sharing what I know from personal experience. I have no qualms about a cat D write off, having bought a repaired one one as a birthday present for my mum last year. This one needed a lock set, had some remaining damage to the front bumper & the rear sill. The car was otherwise immaculate, 70,000 miles but drives like 30,000 & she continues to be completely over the moon with it.

Final thought, apparently some cars become write offs because of the car hire charges while the damaged car is off the road. Maybe if you can forsake taking the hire car, & get a quote from a bodyshop to do a repair to a standard you are happy with the insurance company may not even have to decalre it a write off.......and no Cat D status.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
HI Mike

dont just go by the cost of repairing the car / value of car.

When both of our saabs were hit in November, Tesco's spent £3600 + hire car repairing my wife's car which is worth £4500 at most. It doesnt add up at all ( Then the repairing garage damaged the exhaust getting it off the low loader, which cost them another £200 as well.

We actually wanted it to be written off and I still cannot work out the economics of it

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for all the replies.
The book value is only £2000,but it really drives well, feels very tight almost like a new car, I think I got a good bargain, only paid £1400 or so for it and I'd hate to lose it!.

May go down the route of getting independant to quote for repair, prehaps with 2nd/hand bumper, lights etc

Mike

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Mike J:
[qb]anybody recommend a good bodyshop in the derby area?
[/qb][/b]
Hallam and Suthern's in Swadlincote have a very good reputation - but I do not think that their labour rates are the cheapest. Not sure - so contact them for a chat.

·
Registered
444 Posts
sorry to hear about the accident..

Not sure if it is close enough but there is a body shop in Lincoln that do Saab repairs and really know their stuff..would probably do an independant job. They are called PRP autos, at Waddington, I'll get you the number if it is close enough. There is also a Saab breakers at Ilkeston, called Salvo Spares, where you may be able to source secondhand parts to keep the cost down. They had a good few 9000s a few weeks ago when I called there.

HTH
Ant

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by carrera:
[qb]Don't forget that if it is written off it will be listed on the insurers register as a Category D write off.

This means you have to declare this to any insurer. If it is the same insurer that wrote the car off then there should be no problem, but other insurers simply won't touch the car with a barge pole. [/qb][/b]
I've had no problem insuring my ex-cat-D writeoff. Insurers typically just wanted to know it had a current MOT.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh rats,

written off by the insurance companies assessor, would have cost £2150 to repair. he would not go with getting an independant to do the work, but did give me a very good settlement offer.

Now in the market for another 9000 non turbo.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.