Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please PM me. I am interested in any comments and suggestions from people first. I am IDD since 1980 and believe there is much more to be said than is currently being acknowledged, in particular about the basis of the EU class II vehicle licensing restrictions that came into force in 1997. You may be interested too!

G

·
I am an Insulin Dependant Diabetic and have held a licence for 3 1/2 years. To be honest it hasnt affected my driving at all but it would be interesting to see exactly what peoples experiences have been.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are over 2 million people with diabetes in the UK

Estimates are of a large number of people in the UK who don't know that they have the condition.

Occasional blurring or difficulty focussing of vision.

Frequent stops at service stations after a larger meal including chips and dessert.

Fidgety or burning feet after large meals.

There are 33 million people with diabetes across the whole of Europe.

The numbers of cases reported are increasing.

...and do we know how to talk about issues? What issues? Where?

For your interest.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are over 2 million people with diabetes in the UK

Estimates are of a large number of people in the UK who don't know that they have the condition.

Occasional blurring or difficulty focussing of vision.

Frequent stops at service stations after a larger meal including chips and dessert.

Fidgety or burning feet after large meals.

There are 33 million people with diabetes across the whole of Europe.

The numbers of cases reported are increasing.

...and do we know how to talk about issues? What issues? Where?

For your interest.[/b]
Type II diabetic here. I was diagnosed at the start of this year, so have just been through the who do I have to notify scenario. The advice that I was given was, to be blunt hopeless. Most of it was wrong, and I spent a fair few days distressed that I was going to either lose my license or that my insurance premium was about to go through the roof, atmosphere and stratosphere.

I also have an autistic child, and it was much easier getting information about autism than about diabetes.

Kenneth

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The loss of rights to drive following diagnosis of diabetes is a barrier that people have been left to deal with in complete isolation.

I say this with conviction as I have discovered on record in the Houses of Parliament a ministerial apology for misleading government in this precise matter. The loss of rights to drive an HGV that occurred during the implementation period between 1997-98 resulted from an inaccurate description of the necessity to remove rights to drive HGV's and PSV's as the current policy in Europe.

The Select Committee for Science and Technology in the H of C wrote a scathing report on the quality of the recommendations made by the DETR now the Department for Transport. This report was in response to the body of evidence of severe hardship experienced by the diabetes community who lost their livelihood as a direct result. It received guidance from the discussion of the same Select Committee in the H of L.

What the report brings to light is that the decision is illogical and that there is no rational pattern for any restrictions to be in place in the UK as exampled by Europe.

No apology has been provided (to us) and in turn we do not have an effective organisation of representation to receive it on our behalf.

This account may enable the same understanding as I believe that the real impact to the diabetes community has been to expose us at the most vulnerable point in our diagnosis to unnecessary fears which can result in significant delays to our seeking help and advice.

I can find no MP on record declaring their position as a person who has diabetes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts