Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Instrument Panel bulbs

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  djtaylor 
#1 ·
Seems to pop up from time to time, dim or missing mpg bar graph display etc, what sort of bulbs so while I had my dash apart yesterday doing a walnut upgrade I thought I'd take a few pics.

The left hand bulb is for the turn indicators, not sure what type these are but the large one for general illumination are 501 and the ones that do the the graph/mpg/temp illumination are the ones on the right, 509T. It's surprising how the digital display works so well when only 1 bulb out of 3 still works, but it's so much better when they all work!

See less See more
#3 ·
talking of walnut dashes - I'm ready to do just the same but haven't sussed out just how to go about it.

I've checked out the Haynes but still a tad confused as to how to get to some of the nuts and bolts!!

Any chance of a blow-by-blow account of how to go about it?

All the bet,
Malcolm

#4 ·
Well do you know what, I was going to take pictures but decided it was so easy that it wasn't worth it but here goes for the text version:-

Remove the dash top, speaker grills first, then the two bolts at the rear and the screws. Two hidden screws, on behind a rubber plug at the front top of the glovebox and one at the top of the instrument console. When removing the dash top, you may have to disconnect the sensor for the ACC and pop the wire restraint that runs between the A pillars off the clips.

I started by removing the plastic snap in trays, just lever the top and bottom away from the dash and they'll pop out.

Now you have access to the ashtray, retaining clips at the top, remove and unplug the electrical connectors (check the bulb, it has probably blown )

Next up is the radio, this was the hardest for me since I had to obtain the keys and didn't have a manual (aftermarket one).

If you have ACC, it just pops out and easy access now that you can get at the top and bottom, remove connectors. If you have manual A/C, a little harder because of the control rods. Out is ok, putting it back requires a little more care.

Hazard switch, pops out.

Clock/computer pops out, clips at top and bottom.

Pop out the heated seat switches, green connector does drivers side.

ACC, pop the cover over the air sensor off the front this time and then ease the clips to push the rest of the assembly to the rear of the dash.

Over on the drivers side, pop out the headlight switch, this might seem tough, just keep at it.

The rest of the switches just pop out, don't forget to note the colours to which each one attaches.

Heater vents pop off, the centre one stays behind or you can pull off the duct with the fascia and put it back afterwards.

The actual screws that retain the fascia are two behind the covers next to the push switches, two below the radio and one down by the gear lever.

Remove these and remove the fascia.

Replacement is a simple reversal of removal. See my plastic repair technique thread in case anything falls to bits like my clock/computer did.

I think you might be able to do it without removing the instrument console but I needed to in order to change the bulbs although you'll have more wrestling space if you do at least remove the screws that hold the console and move it back a bit.

TIP: Stick some tape over the metal fixes that these screws go into. I made a mental note of being ultra careful not to scratch my perspex on these and then went and did exactly that.

The thing that took me most time was repairing my clock/computer casing, largely because I had to get inside and unscrew various bits including the conductive strip that connects the PCB to the LCD. If anyone else has done this sort of thing on LCD displays you'll know how tricky it can be to make sure all the segments light properly again afterwards.

David.

#7 ·
magic David. Really apppreciated.
I was looking yesterday at mine and really wasn't comfortable going at it with a screwdriver and a Haynes. For a start I hadn't even sussed that it was probably necessary to remove the facia top!! That could have been interesting.

Many thanks - cut and pasted to word. I picked up a full leather interior for £80 over the weekend. That gets sorted first and then on to the dash

All the best,
Malcolm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.