Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody knows why my car ('87 9000t16)has developed a strange appetite for the fuse number 3, the one that controls the instrument/dash lights? It burned two of them in a few km yesterday night. Seemed like the EDU brightness was dimmed when the fuse wasn't good, but if I turned on the interior light the brightness came back to full.

FWIW, my EDU comes from a '92. I replaced thatunit bacause mine was giving problems of staying on and fuel gauge.

thanks for any tip, this time I really do't know where to beging to fix it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi, sound like you have a short circuit somewhere. If you have played about with the electrical connection behind the dash, recheck them all.
According to the diagram I have fuse#3 supplies
seat belt warning light
passenger seat swt
passenger seat belt swt
seat belt tensioner ECU
drivers seat belt swt

hope this helps

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, gelcoat.

My car hasn't a seat belt tensioner, I believe, so I don't think that your manual applies direcly to my car. But if it's true that it controls the seat belt warning light, this colud be interesting, since mine doesn't work since I messed around with seat buckets when I swapped my seats for '90 ones. I'm afraid I messed too much when I swapped my black dash with a wood one, the same time when I changed my EDU, too.
What's swt? switch?
I'll check again when I'll have time to put my hands on the car and on some basic tool.

If this helps, my car had the dash lights always on, no matter the position lights are on or off.

any other thoughts? Gelcoat, does your fuse 3 control dash lights too?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yep it means switch, sorry electrical shorthand.
the instrument panel lights are always on and are dimmed by the dimmer switch on the right of the steering wheel
Fuse #3 also controld the following
switch illumination which comes from dimmer control.
passenger map reading light
rear ashtray light
rear reading lights
dimmer control unit (as explained before)
lots to keep you going, best of luck

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lots to keep you going, best of luck[/b]
I do agree, unfortunately. Luck is what can help me.
I'll have no time to look at the car in a week, I'm afraid, but I'm trying to collect some spots to check when I'll can do do the job. Now thelist seem quite long! but I don't see how some of the items you mentioned can go bad and cause a short.
I'd need something more precise and focused, but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey gelcoat, are you still there? I'm planning to put my hands on (or better, "in") the car tomorrow morning, so if you really have those schematics they would really be helpful now.

Thanks in advance,
Stefano

1 - 8 of 8 Posts