Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 9000 hatch into which I want to install sub-bass box, however I don't know how to port sound into cabin. I don't want to hack seats or leather trim. There are existing 6x9 beside the shelf + tweeter. I was going to replace the 6x9 with DLS 7x10 & remove the tweeters, but this will leave me with 2" hole for the tweeters & the 7x10 open back into the boot space.

Should I close off behind the 7x10s? Would the 2" hioles port the bass OK, or should I fit grilles into the shelf? Would these need to be tuned?.

Hope you can help

Steve

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Steve,
If you're going to add a sub to the system then I wouldn't bother with the 7x10 speakers, you would be duplicating the low end. If the sub's good enough it would be a waste of your money and time to add the 7x10s' as well.
With a hatchback 9000 the fit of the shelf to the rear screen isn't good so the sub frequencies will leak around just fine to get to your 'shell likes'. There is no way to 'tune' the way the sound reaches you by porting the shelf, but you can tune the sub cabinet (if you know enough) and you can alter the sound by the placement of the cab' in the boot.
HTH
Nick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank god for that. When I first read this thread the other day there weren't any responses and I was terribly tempted to reply with something along the lines of "are you very sure that it is a Saab you are driving, just check that it doesn't actually say Skoda or Suzuki or Simca or something similar", but then I thought no, just hang back and see if anyone actually offers any constructive advice to this poor missguided hickdead.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
there's nowt wrong with a Skoda (the Octavia RS Turbo, 180bhp, anyway!)

Anyone know where I can get those washwipe bumps for my bonnet - you know - the ones with purple lights on them ;-)

/john

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Oh, come on guys, let's not be rude. Just take comfort in the fact that'cos it's a quite engine he won't have to turn the volume up in order to drown it out.

And he doesn't know where you live so he wont be tempted to drive down your street at 2.00am going BOOM, BOOM, thump, thump, BOOM.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Jesus, I bet Steveb is bloody glad he found this fountain of helpful information. So the guy wants a big sound system - why the ridicule and down right rudeness (with the exception of Nick's response of course)?

There was a time when Saab owners were reknowned for being helpful and friendly but now anything that doesn't conform to the average trilby wearer's outlook gets ridiculed. I for one want to see more modified/uprated Saabs and would like to see more of a UK scene for it, like there seems to exist in the US and Sweden... but that would be terribly 'Max Power' wouldn't it...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Believe it or not I agree with Julian in a lot of respects - the 'poor misguided dickhead' comment was perhaps more than a bit unfair? - and despite what a lot of you might think I have nothing against people uprating and modifying Saabs or any other car come to that.
The thing I have a bit of a problem with is the 'Fast Breasts' (does anyone REALY find Jordan attractive btw!) type of 'upgrading' cars which from what I've seen generaly just seems to involves sticking on loads of badly fitting and heavy fibreglass, 'chipping' it, fitting a big bore exhaust, lowering the suspension so much that it stops working and fitting a ICE system that makes your ears bleed. There's no skill or engineering involved in that, it's just a question of opening your wallet (anyone else stood at the counter at Demon Tweeks on a Saturday and begun to loose hope?) and most of the 'tweeks' make the car worse to drive rather than better - but if people want to do that thet's fair enough, I personaly would rather see a car modified with performance rather than fashion in mind but perhaps at the grand old age of 33 I'm too past it to understand!! So I'll stick to building the race cars

·
Registered
73 Posts
My thoughts are with Dave.
I have to smile at the kids who live for these modifications. A post pubescent attempt at individuality.
Me, I know who I am, I prefer the subtle approach...the tweaks for performance & handling which can only be spotted by the fellow enthusiast!

And come on guys...no nastiness...please, mickey taking is all good & well...let's leave it at that!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Oh dear, What have we done to get this response, you don't even know us, do you?
Subs are there to add the bottom octave or two to the spectrum of sound, which cannot be reproduced by the standard speaker system of any Saab. It's how they are used or abused by the individual set-up/person that gets' them a bad reputation.
By the way, I bet the people who have taken the piss have never heard of Theile Small parameters and wouldn't know the relative benefits of sealed versus ported cabinet design.
Rant over.
Nick.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.