Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I just thought I would let you know the out come of my experiment in ref to the induction pipe I have made for my 9000,Which so far seems to be giving great results .(I hope the experienced guys here won't be advising me this is a bad thing ).

I have used a short piece of Vacum cleaner hose 2 drain pipe ends and a couple of tie-wraps.The drain pipe ends have now been shaped into a flared cone shape using a hotair gun and a piece of broom stick .

I have attached the one re-shaped drain pipe end to the end of the vac pipe and mounted this behind the top rad grill, right next to the horns (n/s/f)I then threaded the vac pipe under the n/s headlight and under the indicator(which had already been removed)I fitted the remaining shaped end which was a 90* elbow to the pipe. This elbow pointed straight into the air box (I already have 6 very large drilled holes in the air box and the trumpet has been removed)

The car now picks up almost imediatly in 5th at 65mph ( previously used to take a short while for the turbo too spool oh by the way I'm running a 2.0lpt with IC and stg1 Speedparts with Jr filter ).The whole rev range has been improved and is much smoother now.The car pulls much harder above 50mph and even better still at 80mph+.It has even helped with the low revs in high gears as it now "holds" the revs without labouring which is great

I actualy seem to be doing a better MPG now which is a win win situ.Has anybody else done/tried this ?

I feel my car has had a new lease of life
and all for less than £5 you cannot say fairer than that.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Nice one Rughead!

I don't care if it's the right or wrong thing to do 'performance theory' wise (and I suspect it can only be a good thing) - anyone who goes to the effort of making their own cold-air intake feed deserves to have it work.

Has it changed the induction noise at all?

Carl

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
soo

this is a cold air duct from the front to the wing cavity
It should also provide a little overpressure when its up to speed
sounds good
now where is that old vacuum cleaner

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have been looking at this idea, on and off for a while now. the first time I built this mod was on a 3ltr Capri way back in the 70's.
I sort of gave up with the 9000 I have, so picks would be great, just to see how you have routed the hose.
Good on Ya

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys no pictures as of yet (if it stops raining tommorow i'll take some).To answer some of your questions

I have not noticed any extra induction noise (It already sounds great after I drilled the big holes in the filter housing on the inner wheel arch side only)

As the induction pipe is not directly attached to the air filter (its about 2" away)and slighty higher than the filter box I figured water indgestion wouldn't be a problem.(thats why I sat the intake end above the bumper to aviod floods and splashes of big puddles etc.

If water was to enter the pipe I would hope that the large 2.5" hole in the bottom of the filter box would allow for drainage.

I am open to any suggestions of how where to put a water trap as I do not want to hydraulic my engine!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI guys as promised (a bit later than planned)the photo's of the induction pipe (it is in its experimental state at the moment looks arn't top of the list).

I couldn't work out how to get the pictures on here so I loaded them onto my photos at SAAB photo's see this link:

SAAB photo's

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I junked the horn at the front of the intercooler, as there 2 fitted, still passed the MOT and cleared the frontal area up a bit as the less restrictive airflow thru the grill the better.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Many moons ago when I was a young student, one of my university friends owned a Daf 66 Variomatic

He "turbocharged" this when he found that the flexible pipe from the heater fan outlet could be connected directly onto the air filter inlet. I'm not sure it went much faster but he swore it accelerated much better. The downside being misted up windows on wet days.

But then, the Daf 66 Vario could do the same speed in reverse gear that it could do forwards. Now that was a REALLY scary experience.

I only mention this because the "ram pipe" effect reminded me - sorry for interrupting

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Mark when you say you junked the 2 horns at the front how did it pass the MOT?? are there more horns on the car??????

Comical engineer thats a great story an old woodwork teacher had one of those DAF's what a strange car that was.I have never seen one since (that was nearly 17 years ago now)

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by Rughead:
[qb]Hi Mark when you say you junked the 2 horns at the front how did it pass the MOT?? are there more horns on the car??????

Comical engineer thats a great story an old woodwork teacher had one of those DAF's what a strange car that was.I have never seen one since (that was nearly 17 years ago now) [/qb][/b]
I beleieve that Mark said he junked the 1 horn at the front as there are 2 ( the 2nd not being in the airflow)

Andrew

·
Registered
548 Posts
My rad mounted horn recently died for the second time.

It is straightforward to move the radiator mounted horn a few inches back and mount it using the BPC screws. Aim it for the gap between the radiator and the headlight and you have improved the airflow, and the horn is less exposed to the elements. I paid $13 for a +13 decibel replacement horn, and it seems to make itself heard from back there.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I tucked my horns behind the bumper and out the airflow
it took me 20 mins and a bit of gash metal

These horns obscure a fair amount of rad area...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Like the idea of the intake pipe - the air force at speed should be enough to overcome friction that the filter represents so can only be a good thing.

In fact - I wonder whether just 'pressurising' the wing area would make a difference. (similar to removing the indicator) - Has anyone tried that on track days eg.?

Also have you maxed out on the diameter of pipe as it still looks a bit narrow, but maybe that's the biggest that will thread through to the wing?

As for water ingress, I guess if you took the pipe down through a U bend before going into the airbox, then you'd reduce the chances of real problems but then the pipe gets pretty long.
Time to investigate!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
You would then need a drain off point on the bottom of that U-bend, otherwise the water would just collect there until it blocked the inlet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Guys

I have been driving the car with this mod now for nearly 2 weeks sometimes on rainy days.I have not noticed any hesitations or such like due to water intake and thought that the moist air taken in during rainy days would be no more damaging than the air entering the engine if I where to ahve a water injection kit fitted.

Would it be worth me making a U bend then drilling a few small holes at the bottom to drain off any possible water?.

As for the bore of the pipe it was the only thing I had lying around that would just slide under the headlight.A bigger pipe would need to be squashed/flatend to fit under the headlight wiper spindle. This maybe the next stage of the project if you guys think its worthy of a try.

Thanks for the tip with the horn I understand what Mark was getting at now sorry Mark!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts