Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at the Abbot induction kit, looks very bling in carbon fibre, claimed increase in power 10 hp.( real world 1 hp per £30) Has anyone tried or heard of any similar kits or diy fixes along the same lines. Some vehicles benifit from having the airbox drilled, is this the case with the 95. I know a bell mouth finish increases power on a carb or throttle body, but surely the Abbot kit is too far away from the engine to offer any benifit.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Some vehicles benifit from having the airbox drilled, is this the case with the 95[/b]
I seem to remember the haynes manual says you must not run the engine with the filter housing open as a sudden drop in pressure can do funny things to the turbo(or something like that!) so probably not but I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable will know for sure

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
With regards to "drilling" the housing ...

That can be sort of risky, but Hirsch use a "modified" airbox on the 305/310 bhp Troll R 9-5's.

Unfortunately I haven't seen exactly what they mean by "modified", so I can't really give any definitive answer.

Adrian W~

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The purpose of the "bell" is in order to reduce airflow resistance and turbluence at the intake by effectively helping the air to be drawn in uniformly over a hemisperical shape.

It works wherever it is. I've seen the results on airflow meters- they are quite significant.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Personally id spend my £30 on a panel filter and possibly modify the airbox myself.
Then id blow the other £270 on something not made by Abbotts and therefore likely to last more than 12 months before falling apart
£300 for an air filter - Only at Abbott

Pete.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by tandino TD04 T16S:
[qb]£300 for an air filter - Only at Abbott      :rolleyes:    

[/qb][/b]
Actually Pete, in the spirit of fairness and balance , the Abbott filter is not expensive by market standards for carbon fibre. I reckon it's an ITG/maxogen based design, typical prices of which are around the £300 mark:

http://www.msport.co.uk/acatalog/ITG_Maxog...ow_Systems.html

But you're dead right to say that it's hardly good value bang for buck!

As you suggest a DIY airbox mod is better or an induction kit that extends the filter in to the wheel arch, out of the engine bay, such as the Speedparts kit, available from Elkparts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice, if I were to fit an after market free flowing filter and drilled my airbox to increase flow how will this effect my ecu, is it fair to say that the engine would now run lean with the extra air to fuel ratio. Most ecu's rely on a map sensor tps air intake temp rpm to make a decision on the amount of fuel to inject, however the engine map would be factory set for the standard engine, with this one setting changed (airflow) can and will the ecu compensate.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Nope, as the filter is pre any metering, changing the intake resistance won't have an adverse affect on the a/f ratio.

·
Registered
54 Posts
myself, I just popped a K&N filter into the stock housing. I have been using these filters for quite a few years now and they simply deliver... clean and unrestricted air. the deciding factor on my 9K was the filter location - not so nice to get in there every 10 000 km. even though I was lucky to obtain an insert plugged on one end, just as the factory's. K&N tend to have their catalogues a bit mixed up when it comes to some older models. I have tried induction kits in the past but I find it difficult to find a spot under bonnet where the filter would suck cold air, in the end a kit may produce worse results than the standard filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts