Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I see on the Elkparts page that speedparts do an induction kit for the 9000 to replace the standard air filter/box etc.

I quite fancy this and was just wondering if anyone had tried one rather than the performance (JR?) filter it seems a lot of you guys have.

Also, does anyone have experience of fitting one to a 1995 ish Aero ( i guess all 2.3T s will be the same induction wise though)

Cheers
Ant

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have the induction kit fitted to my vehicle, with the JR filter

It was a bit of a pain to fit to be honest and a two person job, but, it is worth it, if you do a search on induction kit you will find my previous postings on fitting etc....

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have just ordered the Speedparts induction kit for my 9-3. I hope to receive it sometime this week and tell you how I get on. The only feedback I have heard is that you can really hear the turbo slurping in all that air!! Whether that is a benefit or not depends on your age and/or mentality to tuning

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.
Guess I'll sit tight for a while and see how you get on with them.Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ant

·
Registered
262 Posts
Have fitted my Speedparts induction kit to my 9-3 this morning. Not too sure how different the engine bay is to the 9000 (would assume there would be more room in the 9000 bay) but I'll tell you my experience anyway. THe original airbox was easy to remove, it was held on by three nuts, you may need a ratchet with short extension bar to get to the lower ones. The existing nuts are utilised so don't throw them away. Not sure if you were planning to buy the heatshield, but it needed a little persuading to fit in and line up with the original holes, probably to be expected anyway. The hardest thing was to fit the alloy pipe onto the rubber air intake pipe. It is a very tight fit, I used a small amount of grease to ease it on, also ensure the jubilee clip is fully loosened. Fitting the actual filter to the alloy pipe was quite straight forward. When I came to drive the car, I certainly heard the difference. You can hear the turbo sucking in the air very clearly. Also, when you lay off the gas you can hear the turbo "fluttering", just like the rally cars do but not as loud. Although you can notice the noise, it isn't really intrusive in normaly driving ie when you are not
. I have not noted any performance increase only because I haven't driven her hard yet! Will give it a boot tonight and let you know how I get on tomorrow. Hope this post is useful

·
Registered
682 Posts
Isnt there any problems with fuelling when fitting an induction kit ? Yes you get more air but that doesnt equal more fuel to go with it hence the car runs lean.

I'm basing my opinion on my Subaru knowledge and they need a re-map to be able to run an induction kit safely,we had a K+N induction kit fitted to a friends MY01 Impreza by K+N themselves as his car was used to develop the kit, but it ran terrible and was proven to be running dangerously
lean at above 4000 RPM when we ran a diagnostic with Delta Dash software.

The worrying thing was that K+N themselves said they didnt have the ability to prove if the car was running lean after the Typhoon kit was fitted and said it was down to the owner to sort any problems.

We re-fitted the OEM airbox and it was perfect,yes we could have had it re-mapped to benefit from the additional airflow but the cost was against doing so.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think the air flow meters, these days, measure the mass of air going in directly. So when you get more air going in, the ECU gets told how much, and it then pulses the injectors for longer so more fuel goes in to compensate.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yup, Trionic systems can cope with pretty much anything before the MAF sensor (T7 onwards) or even before the MAP sensor (T5). Not that I'd recommend it, but you can actually run a T5 car with nothing connected to the throttle body. Some of us have found this out after working and not tightening the elbow up properly!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm sure it would regulate the boiling temperature of the water in relation to changes in atmospheric pressure if it could though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts