Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reset the EDU on my 1989 9000i and did a 130 mile journey. The EDU said I averaged 26MPG but I actually did 34MPG. Anyone have any ideas why the EDU should be so inaccurate and what I might try to rectify it?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Sounds like you are set up for US gallons. 26mpg US is roughly equivalent to 33mpg imperial, so that would explain it.

I don't know whether the '89 is similar to the '95 (earliest handbook I have at the moment), but it says:

To select the desired combination of units, depress the INFO and R buttons simultaneously and hold them depressed for at least four seconds. Each time the buttons are depressed, one of the four following groups of measurement units will be selected:
<ul type="square">
[*]litres/100 km, kilometers, deg C
[*]MPG (US gal), miles, deg F
[*]MPG (imp. gal), miles, deg F
[*]MPG (imp. gal), miles, deg C
[/list]
The only thing I can think of to watch out for on an earlier car is that I think my '87 didn't have the "imp. MPG, deg C" option, so I had to have deg F.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill, sounds like you are on to something there. I don't possess an owners manual so didn't even know that the units could be changed. I sussed out that holding down R for a few seconds reset the MPG reading but it didn't occur to me that pressing both buttons simultaneously would also do something.

Why does the unit of temperature matter? My EDU only displays voltage and øMPG when I press the INFO button. Is it because newer or more up market variants of my car have an ambient temperature sensor perhaps?

Ooohh, one more thing what is the significance of the ø symbol? Don't know if this is meant to be a greek capital theta/phi or some swedish symbol. I assume it means 'average' but don't understand the link. Sorry if this seems an ignorant question but does anyone know?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all, particularly BillJ who was clever enough to spot my problem. Having altered the EDU so it displays ØMPG Imp (thanks StephenA), it concurs with my manual calculations.

This means I don't have to eat humble pie for my Dad who poured scorn on me for suggesting that the EDU would be more likley to pack in completely rather than display such a precise but incorrect reading.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]one of the four following groups of measurement units will be selected:
<ul type="square">
[*]litres/100 km, kilometers, deg C
[*]MPG (US gal), miles, deg F
[*]MPG (imp. gal), miles, deg F
[*]MPG (imp. gal), miles, deg C
[/list]
[/qb][/b]
I know that's what should happen- so why do I only get 3 out of 4, depriving me of the one I really want ie MPG imp/deg C? GRRRR!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by SteveN:
[qb]It doesn't, just those nice Swedes gave us the option and not the Yanks.[/qb][/b]
That's right. I just like to have things in deg C now that we're all European and all that and that's what weather forecasts, etc. are quoted in. I think the UK is probably one of the few countries in the world using imperial gallons (perhaps the only one?), and there can't be many using deg C who haven't also converted to litres and km.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles (fka Mark E):
[qb]so why do I only get 3 out of 4, depriving me of the one I really want ie MPG imp/deg C?[/qb][/b]
Dunno. I'm sure my '90 CD had that option. Err... at least I think it did

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I thought the external, ambient, air temperature reading was standard on all 9000s with EDU (but am happy to be corrected). If you scroll through by pressing the "info" button you will get, in no particular order, mpg, temp, miles till tank empties, battery charge and temp.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[qb]I thought the external, ambient, air temperature reading was standard on all 9000s with EDU (but am happy to be corrected). If you scroll through by pressing the "info" button you will get, in no particular order, mpg, temp, miles till tank empties, battery charge and temp.[/qb][/b]
Nope. Just voltage and MPG only. I was a bit surprised, seems an awful lot of effort invest simply to provide two statistics. Maybe this was state of the art in 1989?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Strange. Maybe the non-turbo didn't get it? I know even my '87 had all those and instantaneous MPG was also an option like it is on the later autos (which have the gear selection in place of the "instantaneous MPG" bargraph that the later manuals have).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[qb]I drove an '89 n/a 9000 the other week which had it. Could it have been an option? Or is it just an old, worn display unit?      
[/qb][/b]
It certainly is an old and extremely worn car. As for the display unit, it seems to work perfectly apart from the deficit of information. I was just wondering if I had some defective sensors and the EDU was 'intelligently' skipping over them.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles (fka Mark E):
[qb]have I got a freak?[/qb][/b]
Well, judging from her homepage, Bubbles isn't exactly your average '93 CS, is she? But don't type too loudly when you call her a "freak". You might find yourself walking to work tomorrow. You know what females are like

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by careful:
[qb]I was just wondering if I had some defective sensors and the EDU was 'intelligently' skipping over them.[/qb][/b]
Hardly likely - I understand that when your temperature sensor becomes disconnected, the display will show that it's very warm out there. Warmer than you're likely to get on even the hottest of British summer days, anyway.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by careful:
[qb]I was just wondering if I had some defective sensors and the EDU was 'intelligently' skipping over them.[/qb][/b]
Hardly likely - I understand that when your temperature sensor becomes disconnected, the display will show that it's very warm out there. Warmer than you're likely to get on even the hottest of British summer days, anyway.[/qb][/b][/quote]I therefore conclude that I have a very desirable, minimalist EDU which is much sought after by collectors and that Skip would command a healthy premium if I were foolish enough to put him up for sale. Damn that ferrous oxide is looking good....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts