Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My first post, so a bit of background:
I bought a '94 9000CDE in dark blue just over a year ago - after getting a Labrador, we needed a bigger car than a Toyota Starlet for long journeys and air con to keep him cool.

The car I found has been absolutely brilliant, but I'd like your advice on what I might be able to do about improving the cooling.

It's a B204S (LPT/ecopower) engine with Climate Control and an Auto 'box. Having searched this BB, I can say that it uses the 'more fluctuating' engine temp guage (i.e. it will move above 9 o'clock while still not overheating). The guage is prone to running towards the top of the scale (say 10 o'clock with the red zone at 11 o'clock) even on relatively short journeys on coolish days and can even run at these temps when the speed is constantly over 40mph - short periods of stationary traffic cause the same. This all looks to be due to the air con rad blocking and heating the air flow to the engine rad.

Has anyone experienced the same, and what are my options for improving the situation to prolong engine life etc? The space between the two rads is quite tight, is an extra fan in between enough to help, or one infront of the air con rad?

Any help much appreciated,

Cheers,

//att

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by vera:
[qb]The guage is prone to running towards the top of the scale (say 10 o'clock with the red zone at 11 o'clock) even on relatively short journeys on coolish days and can even run at these temps when the speed is constantly over 40mph - short periods of stationary traffic cause the same.
[/qb][/b]
I'm not convinced there's anything to fix. My old '94 CSE did much the same thing (from memory) for the entire time I owned it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, there isn't anything wrong with the car, but I'm sure the combination of non-intercooled LPT, auto 'box and climate control are making the car run hotter than an NA, manual without air con.

The fact that my car will spend large proportions of it's time at the higher end of its efficient operating temperature range due to the kind of use it gets (local driving and rush hour M25 + summer temps), makes me think that helping overcome the inefficiency of the cooling system would help.

I recently did test journeys with the air con off with 18 deg C outside temp and it still ran 'hot' - that's why I think there's an air flow issue.

My local Saab dealer only suggested a cooler thermostat, but that doesn't really address the issue. I even wondered whether an Evo style intercooler spray on the rad might help, but I don't like the idea of a solution which relies on a finite water supply.

//att

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by vera:
[qb]Agreed, there isn't anything wrong with the car, but I'm sure the combination of non-intercooled LPT, auto 'box and climate control are making the car run hotter than an NA, manual without air con.
[/qb][/b]
Still not convinced. Mine was a LPT, auto box with climate control I think they just do that.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I have to also say that my 2.0 lpt is in the same temperature gauge range but I'll also ask, have you calibrated the temperature gauge and similarly the sender?

Just because it says it's "up there" doesn't mean it's not actually accurate.

David.

·
Registered
765 Posts
my 2.0lpt use to sit at 7'oclock regradless then when I did the head gasket and cleaned things up it went to 9 and very quickly when idiling will jump to 10, have to agree turbo, no intercooler and ac causes the high temp, I do not worry about it.

hth haggag01

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi,
I've got a '93 9000CD LPT, auto gearbox, with ACC. I ran the car in heavy traffic in Hong Kong during the hot summers and never got the temp. gauge above the 8 'o clock position. I then took the car to South Africa last year and drove thru the Karoo in ambient temperatures of 40 degrees celcius with the aircon on full while travelling at 140kmh+. Same gauge reading.
What I DID do was to ensure that the fan cut in as it is supposed to do (courtesy of Haynes and a friendly fellow Saab fanatic) and that thermostat was functioning correctly. Oh, I also cleaned a fair amount of road-crud out of the radiator cooling matrix, too. Now in England the temp-gauge barely ever registers above 7 'clock.
Steve

·
Registered
454 Posts
There are 2 types of Temp gauge, the one you have which is over sensitive and the later 'We won't tell you until its just about to panic time'. The later one was introduced as SAAB were getting a bit sick of all these worried owners thinking their motor was about to expire. In other words the gauge you have is over sensitive and until it goes higher than normal you don't have to worry.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have had my '96 CDE Auto 2.0 LPT (B204E engine)with ACC, for nearly a year now and I have never seen the temp guage go above 9 o'clock, whatever the outside temp.

My Certificate of Conformity is dated 1995-09-01 so perhaps yours was built before mine and had one of the 'sensitive' guages.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The '96 model year was the first with the "placebo" temperature gauge. My '95 CSE 2.0LPT (with the truthful gauge) once sat at 9:00, but I was thrashing it round Goodwood at the time

There's bound to be some natural variation in sensors and gauges but I'd be tempted to check the condition of the cooling system and replace the thermostat. The cooling system has always worked well on my 9000s, and I don't think all the air-con stuff and intercooler reduces cooling performance to a significant degree.

·
Registered
32 Posts
do you have a 2 fan system? 1 for acc and the other for the engine? there is a two stage/speed fan switch in the radiator low and high speed for the engine only, and the acc fan runs whenever you have the acc set to '"AUTO" but will only come on if your ac is serviced properly.you should check out the switch in the radiator first and then try moving the acc fan by hand to see if it is bound up.I had a similar problem with another car and it turn out to be the radiator itself,it was partially clogged but still able to flow from in to outlet,It just bypassed all or half of the radiator.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
That year of car does tend to run warm. However there are a couple of cheap things you can do to help make sure it's not unnecessairly so...

<ul type="square">
[*]Use a good quality coolant system flush and follow the instructions carefully- you'll be surprised at the amount of rubbish it removes.
[*]Following naturally on from above, change the coolant, making sure the mix is not over strength- antifreeze is actually a very poor heat conductor
[*]Change the thermostat and use an 82 deg C if it's not already fitted. There were two types used- 89 and 82.
[/list]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do you have a 2 fan system? 1 for acc and the other for the engine?[/b]
No, there's just a cowled puller on the back of the engine rad. The gap in front of the AC rad is huge (presumably the space for an IC) and there's maybe just over an inch space between AC and engine rads.

Would a scrappy sourced AC rad fan be of help (is it a pusher or a puller?) or would finding a thin fan from Kenlowe or SPAL to fit in between AC and engine rads be better?

I'll go for a coolant drain, flush and re-fill soon and change the thermostat for a cooler one - should I consider changing the water pump while I'm at it, or do they seem to stand up to high mileages well?

Finally, I've read about Water Wetter - is it worth the £15 to get rid of surface tension, or is it a gimmick?

Thanks to everyone for helping me with this - great to find folk with all the knowledge!

Cheers,

//att

·
Registered
18 Posts
The running hot problem showed by the gauge is all the same symptoms that my 9 K did and it turned out to be the radiator fan speed relay that is located at at the lh front relay box just behind the Lh headlight. It was only letting the fans operate when it felt like it, so that on the open road with good air flow everything was fine but as soon as slow traffic or car parks or lots of idling up it would go towards th red sector, and after much searching and testing I found it and a replacement relay cured all my problems

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.