Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 9000 Aero which has been a lovely reliable and never had any problems to speak of. But now I'm a little worried. Got some funny noises from the gearbox (a weak point on these cars, I understand).

A little background, my gearbox has been sweet as a nut. Not a single problem usually associated with these cars. Easy to select every gear, never pops out, no funny noises. NOTHING. Until today.

When I drove my daughter to school this morning it was completely fine. And now, when I drove to the shops suddenly there was a weird noise and a vibration through the gear lever. It still selects every gear perfectly fine and when you're accelerating (even a little) there's no indication of any problem. The problem appears on overrun/engine braking. The second you let off the throttle there is a very audible and fast ticking/tapping/clicking kind of a noise accompanied by a pulsing vibration through the gear lever which is louder/faster with higher revs. What you feel is exactly the same as the noise so it's obviously connected to the gearbox somehow. Sounds almost a little like the old playing card in the bike spokes, but more muted. It can also be felt (but not as much) when the clutch pedel is pressed, and VERY slightly when the car is in neutral. There is no noise or vibration when the car is stationary with the engine running.

I've had enough experience to be very worried, but I'm slightly hopeful since nothing seems to actually be wrong with the functioning of the gearbox. The car drives as it always did. I'm fearing expensive gearbox repairs though. Do you have any thoughts on what this might be?

This is my only car and I've become quite attached to it and rely on it. Would be a shame to have to part with it. :(

Thanks for your time and consideration.

·
Registered
546 Posts
We've got an Aero too & had more than our fair share of gearbox problems (now on our 3rd). But our car has been tuned which can give the box a hard time.

For what it's worth, all our failures have been fairly swift and catastrophic.. ie. one moment it's fine - next it's popping out of gear & then not changing at all. Not really what you describe.

Hopefully someone will tell you it's just an engine / gearbox mount problem, or something to do with the gear selector.

If it does turn out to be the box, I'd recommend getting your original box re-built rather than gambling on another one - (we forked out £650 for one from a well-known Saab breakers, which broke within 3 months and they didn't give a txss). The re-build only cost £150 and is still going strong :)

Good luck

G

·
ylee coyote is the man to talk to when it comes to gearboxes but I think you are looking at 3rd gear circlip failure. Get it fixed now and its fairly cheap. Leave it and the gearbox could end up smearing itself all over the road. Box repairs are fairly straightforward but its a 3 hour trip each-way to remove and re-fit it, thats where the expenses start to rack up. I would be tempted to get a 'spare' box and fit it then get yours re-furbished ASAP and wait for the other one to give up on you.

I done a clutch change over the weekend in six hours so it is do-able if you have the tools, space and a bit of bravery to drop the subframe and pull the box through the wheelarch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts