Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Well i just found this ***** and registered. Im about to buy my first saab! I want a 9000 but am not sure which one! maybe 1993/94 and really my only stipulation is leather interior and the three spoke alloy wheels. Now the tricky bit...engine size versus insurance! Im 21 with no 'no claims' so im gonna get crippled either way. Is the 2.0 non turbo worth it or just horribly slow? even that i believe is group 14 and the 2.3 turbo goes up to 17..so, which engine should i go for, and what about manual versus automatic? Also, any other 21yr old 9000 owners> what insurance do you pay???

Thanks guys, i really want one od these cool swedish monsters and you help could push me over the edge!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
haha, i believe i must have put an 'H' in the word 'site'..anyway, i forgot the most important part...i have a budget of £1500-1800 for the car itself...insurance i'll find elsewhere. Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i remember being in the same boat as you not so many years back
and my advise to you would be to get a 2.3 fpt and grin and bear the insurance. i used to think although i was paying around £1500 for my 1st year insurance at least i had a good guality car that would last me and out perform most boy racer mobiles, remember you can always pay monthly for your premiums so its not that bad. having said that i would not buy that kind of performance car if it was my first vehicle since passing my test, they simply are far too powerful. i must also warn once you buy one of these cars you,ll be hooked good luck
and enjoy

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi Tom Kettle

I am 24 and have a 2.3 Turbo 1991 9000 CSE. Lovely Car, and that power really makes you smile.

I have driven a standard 2.0 and I personally think they can't pull the skin of a rice pudding.

The later 2.0 Low pressure turbo car is ok with a nice amount of torque to help with moving along a bit quicker. I drove Peter Messanger's 2.0 LPT which had a maptun stage 3 and it made this car into a bit of a Q car !!

The 2.3 LPT is very nice, with 175 BHP and again has large amounts of that all important torque.

Then the 2.3 FPT has 200 BHP and I think just a tad under 250 LBFT at 2000 r.p.m which is so much fun when it comes to having a little race (of course on private test tracks)

I pay £580 a year fully comp with 6 points for my 2.3 FPT this is with "quote me happy"

Maybe another option, when I was 22 I had a 900 SE 2.0 Turbo with 185 BHP and that was plenty quick enough, you can pick a high mileage one with your budget, they have a more modern interior and was a bit more youthful !!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree with Stupot go for a 2.3 fpt.

But hang on, you are 21 probably not married, no kids, no mortgage etc, you should not be thinking about buying a 9000 yet. I'm into SAGA years and on my 4th but the "new" one is the first turbo I've had (2.3CSE fpt) what a rocket, ok it's an auto, but I do get two lifts of the bonnet when I "boot" it, one when the gearbox kicks down and another when the turbo kicks in compared to only one that the Aero bunnies get (don't know what they're missing - WONDERFUL)
Anyway leave 9000's alone for us "oldies" go get yourself a beat up old mini and spend every weekend fixing it, leave proper cars for those who can appreciate their finer points.

Seriously go for the turbo, they're awesome, BUT learn to drive it properly before you start showing off, they are very powerful cars and must be respected, if you don't give me a bell when you prang it and I'll buy the bits that are left.
Good luck in your search for your first, of what will be many, 9000

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am 24 and drive a 9000 CSE 2.3t (LPT), and its plenty fast for a start. You can always spend £400 and get it upgraded to an FPT easy enough.

I know in England your insurance is cheaper, but I got my from www.elephant.co.uk. First year was £1200 and has dropped to £800 with 4 years no claims.

Go for at least the 2.3 lpt... its definately worth the cash.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Tom and welcome to Saabscene.

Personally in your place I wouldn't go for a FPT. You will get stung big time on insurance. The maintenance costs are also likely to be a lot higher, and it's also likely to have had a harder life mechanically.

The injection models (2.0 or 2.3) are not as bad as some folk make out (I've driven many)- they're certainly nippy enough around town. The LPTs are a fair bit more flexible.

If you do want something with a bit more go, then choose a 2.3LPT. Don't think about getting a 2.0LPT and then adding a performance upgrade because when declared the insurance on that will be prohibitive.

Unless you have a need, I would avoid an auto. They're not one of the best features of the car and at the sort of age/mileage you're probably looking at you'll do well to get one that is in a good reliable state of repair.

Lastly, for buying advice, follow the link at the bottom of the page to BillJ's 9000 site where there's a comprehensive buying guide.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
About 18 months ago, I set out to buy a 9000 for my dad and decided to get him a 2.0LPT as, after some research, I decided it was the best compromise between reasonable performance and insurance. He wanted an auto, so it needed a bit of poke to give reasonable performance. It was also less likely to have stressed the auto transmission than a more powerful variant would. The info I could find gave an insurance group of 13 or 14. While searching for an auto, I came across a 2.0LPT manual at a good price so I bought that as well for myself.

Performance of the manual is pretty respectable, I have to say, and the auto is no slouch either. I'm using the LPT as my main car at the moment, but even when I was using my modified Aero, I would stil occasionally take the LPT out for drives just for fun! The LPT is much more comfortable in traffic, being lower geared than the 2.3 turbos. Don't worry about the peak horsepower figure. The strength of the 9000 turbos, whether LPT or FPT, is in the wide torque band - that low-down pull that gives effortless acceleration without having to red-line it all the time.

The only thing I would say about the 2.0i I drove once is that it's very low-geared and a bit "busy", but could still pull itself along OK - it was a manual. Insurance-wise, I think a 2.3i is about the same as a 2.0LPT and I'm told that despite them both producing 150hp, the 2.0LPT is much better to drive and a fair bit quicker.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
If you are 21 and can find insurance for less than you pay for the car, I think you will have done well... Anything breaching group 11 will really hurt. (Although it depends where you live) I am 28 and was looking for a 2nd saab (2.3lpt) but couldnt use my no-claims as its on the aero. The 2.3lpt came through at 1200notes and that was through Chris Knott Insurance - one of the cheaper ones (I live in Surrey- clean license). If you live in a similar type of area you'll be about 1800 or so. That didnt mean to sound negative - more to say that I think insurance is the main concern so get a quote on each of your models first before you get attached to one!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi I have a 1990 s 2.0i auto and I agree its a bit on the sluggish side so after only 3 months of ownership I am selling to get a 2.3 lpt or fpt and bear the insurance as I am jealous . I am approching 30 and with too many points and a 6 month ban behind me at the moment I only pay £1000 a year (pm me if you want details) this is made up of a resonable deposit and only 6 months of payments for a year so all in all a good deal for a really nice car. And I assure you once you buy one your hooked

·
Registered
181 Posts
Scour the online quotation places to see what sort of cars give what sort of prices.

I have found saabs quite cheap to insure for what they are (that's because the 17 yr olds don't buy them and write them off all the time).

Just swapped the insurnace from my beated up renault 19 16v (135bhp buzz box - grp 15) to my 1995 Aero (grp 17) and saved myself £60 a year.

I'm 24 with 2 years NCB.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
yeah - just create user on elephant.co.uk and play around with the different cars. Whatever deal you get, it will only be an absolute max of 15% off that price. Start with 5 litre TVR Griffith (my plan A) and everything else will look good after that....

·
Registered
461 Posts
I drove my wife's 2.0i CSE at the weekend, for the first time in a few weeks of only driving my Aero, and I have to say I had a whale of a time.

Down the rural twisties with no traction problems and momentum being all-important, I think I completed the journey in exactly the same time as I would in the Aero, and with almost as big a grin.

Low power isn't the same as low fun.

Carl

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
mpen, I know what you mean about insurance and old and i'm not that old at a mere 38.

I can insure my 9000 Aero fully comp. for £265 compared with an 18 year old on his first year insurance for a 2 year old Fiesta which cost him £1500 to insure. Next year he'll pay even more following a recent prang.

FWIW, to add to the discussion, I am regularly driving a 9000 CD 2.0LPT and I don't think it's sluggish, far from it. Sure it doesn't have the sheer grunt of the Aero but then it'll quite happily pull from 4th and 5th.

David.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Tom,
Welcome to Saabscene .

I know your situation. I have been there myself. I passed my test last year and my first car was a Saab 9000 Anniversary. For the money I paid for it, I could have bought an aero probably a year or two older or a similar aged aero for a little more. But I chose the 2.0 LPT as it reduced the insurance burden. Since then I found that the 2.0 LPT is a very exciting car to drive
. And the anniversary cars are of good trim level- the aero body kit, lovely two tone leather, leather and wood steering wheel, walnut
. For the money that you intend to spend you could get a decent anniversary if you take a little trouble and time. Also be ready to bargain hard. There are plenty of high mileage 2.0 LPTs around in the market and it is definitely a buyer's market. For you to get an idea here is a search I conducted on autotrader.co.uk. It shows what a lot of car you can get for under 2 grand!
Autotrader link

The insurance will be high but much lower than an FPT or aero. But you have to pay for the better things in life and this won't be a huge lot more than getting a 1.6 ford fiesta but the car will be light years ahead of any fiesta u can get.

So good luck.

Neel.

Note: Do visit BillJ's website for a 9000 buying guide and get tips from there. It is fantastic. Also this board is a great place to get help from some very experienced and knowledgeable owners of Saabs who also happen to be very nice people.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Low power isn't the same as low fun.[/b]
I agree! I had a 2.0i 1987 vintage for 9 years, I used to drive it mercilessly! And the good thing is, with its relatively low power, there was less chance of getting into trouble - particularly thinking of things like overcooking fast bends . Now I have a 2.3lpt, I have to keep a close grip on my enthusiasm on occasions....and that's before the Matun stage 1 I'm saving up for .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts