Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time i'm going to get my '97 Aero rolling roaded to see exactly what it's got.

It's something i meant to do to previous cars but other things always got in the way (usually breakdowns ;-)

It's got 74k on it and sounds and goes great.
As soon as i get the results (sometime next Thursday) i'll post the results.

Anyone else done this before?

Skiddins

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Hmmmnnnnn......
Should be interesting...hope they tie it down well!! I've not had any experience with a fwd car on a rolling road, but plenty with powerful rwd, and it's always fun(!) with a high torque output engine trying to stop the wheels jumpin out of the rollers.
I'll be interested to see the torque results, if they do it, far more interesting than hp.
Look forward with interest to hearing the results. Seems you and me and 'JD' are reletively the same neck of the woods as well, that's 3 96 Aero's, anymore out there?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Yes, had my Aero done last Dec. Real good fun, they did severakl runs and couldn't believe the car was standard (the RR owner drives a 9000 2.0i with 2.3 head, big exhaust and remapped efi.

Anyway, my Aero...

Max power, 248.1bhp @ 4753 rpm (4th @ 106.0 mph)
Max torque 310 lbft @ 2578 rpm (4th @ 57.5 mph)
Max road speed tested too (as wasn't getting any more power) 126 mph, 5649 rpm in 4th
Transmission/tyre loses etc 45.7 bhp (slightly higher than real as twin roller set)
Max power @ wheels 202.4 bhp

Torque above 280 lbft from 2300 - 4700rpm, over 300lbft from 2400 - 2900 rpm

Power is an almost flat line from 1300 rpm (35bhp) to 4750 (248bhp) with a slightly raised hump around 2400 - 2900 rpm

Car test load, 3000lbs, temp 15c, pressure 1002 mb

RR owners comments:-
Get free flow airfilter, the car want's to give more but can't breath, could see a few BHP abover 4500rpm).
Use 98 octane fuel (I only ever use 95).
Try some of the friction reducer in the gearbox to get 2-3 more bhp to road.
Of the exhaust? he's buying an Aero back box for his as they are straight through!

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I'm not sure, but I'm happy.

I've had the car 6 years now, it was originally a company car (did 75000 in 18 months) from Leamington spa saab, plus had a 2nd owner for 2-3 months in Reading also company car for another 3000, then me.

I've just had it serviced, and maintained (and use cheap walker centre section exhaust boxes, genuine saab front and rear though).

All I can think is the adaptive boost likes my driving style, because as you say power is 10% over and torque 20% over. (saab quoted are 225bhp and 258lbft).

We've checked the ecu box numbers and they are correct, and were still sealed, also, I can't think that many company cars get chipped).

Mines now 120000 miles, and was 112000 when tested.

Andrew

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to Van Arken or Aaken in Crowethorne, Bracknell, it's inside that test track place that's used a lot on C4's Driven programme, lots of tree's etc.
It's only about 20 mins from where i live.
I believe there is also one somewhere in Uxbridge

They fitted the exhaust to my last car and i was more than satisifed with that.
It'll cost £55 +vat for about 40mins work.

I believe it would be about £100 if they did any tuning while there, depending on whether the car has anything they can adjust!

They used to have a list of rolling roads in the back of Max Power Magazine....if your prepared to take the shame of being seen reading it! ;-)

Skiddins

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The results are in...

It was cold today, just a few degrees.

225.1 bhp @ 5056 rpm
271.3 lbft @ 3000 rpm
Boost reached about 1.05 bar (15psi) at it's highest point (2051 rpm).

Torque rises sharply up to about 2200 rpm then falls gently away, the boost measurement matches the torque curve almost exactly.The readings are the calculated ones at the engine, not the wheels.

So they're very similar to what the manufacturer specs say.

Skiddins

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.