Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything cutting out with the main light's on, Iv'e checked the battery (everything fine).
Checked the alternator with volmeter (at battery) reading 13.5ish (engine running, and everything on) but the "dash" volt meter reads anything between 9.5-11.8ish.
Could this still be the alternator doing this, I thought of the lamp relay (the long rectangular box) in the engine bay maybe at fault!.
Because unless Iv'e got either a faulty muiltimeter or the dash volt meter is faulty, I really cant think of anything else.

But get this!, everything's fine if drive with the side light's on, and I can use the high bean flash!

Btw, thanks to everyone who have replied to this, but it's still not fixed and is quite dangerous.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by stucse:
[qb]But get this!, everything's fine if drive with the side light's on, and I can use the high bean flash!
[/qb][/b]
Changed any bulbs recently? I've had some really odd effects when the wrong bulbs were fitted (engine not turning off until I turned the lights off, for example!)

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
It might be worth trying the car with no rear brake/tail bulbs, just to eliminate them (or not). I think there are four in the 9000.

Even if you have not touched them they might have broken, or water got in or something.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
When you say everything cutting out, do you mean the car stops as well? If so it sounds like the short +ve wire between the battery and the distribution terminal has gone high resistance. Measure the voltage between the battery terminal and the block- it should be no more than 0.1V. If it goes up as you turn stuff on, then the cable needs to be replaced.

HTH

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea thats what happens, the dash light's go out first then a couple of seconds later the engine cut's out.
This distribution block, is that "black box" with the two thick cables in it in front of the battery.
I take it you mean putting of the muiltimeter on the battery and the other on this "block box" ie distribution block.
I take the muiltimeter will set at volt's, should the engine be running doing this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Iv'e checked this block thing at the battery with the engine running and not.
Running it's reading 0.08, not running 0.00, thats using the cables from the battery that are going into it.
I notice you if it goes up by more then 0.01 it needs replaced. But it does look fine, eg it's not corroded/chaffed/split in any way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bubbles...Some results here....

With just the ignition light's...0.02-3v
Engine on........................0.04v
Engine, light's (just side light's because putting it on main light's it still cut's out), heater)..........................0.08v

Do I need a new cable then at the battery?, but like I say it's not corroded/split/damaged in any way.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Have you checked the 'EARTH' ? (Not the thing your standing on!) Start with the Battery, then all earth points under the bonnett, then any that are near the rear lamp clusters. By the way the Volt reading should be 14.2 on the display when all off and engine running, switching the lights on and this will fall, then rise again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea Iv'e checked/cleaned what earths I could find.
This voltage in the dash you mention, it's reading between 8.5ish-10.5ish engine/lights on.
But when checked with the muiltimeter it read 13.5ish whats wrong.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The battery was only bought yesterday, but the "old" one is only a year old, the alternator is two years old and like I say is kicking out fine going by the muiltimeter readings, but not according to the dash!

And what about this cable at the battery Iv'e checked and sent in above.
Thats what I thought Bubbles was talking about.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Axl had a simillar fault with his saab about 3-4 months ago have you tried a search?
My saab used to "miss a beat"when i used main beam which was the connections at the black connecter box by the battery.
By the way a good alternator will charge between 13.2-14.2volts depending on load and battery condition.
Hope this is of some use

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's when I put the light's on that everything's cut's out. But I when on side light's I can still use the high beam flash

The alternator actually reads 14.4 from the muiltimeter. I also cleaned the "black box" (at the battery) cables but they were fine anyway.

This is now a job for an auto spark, I just dont know anymore, simple as that!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.