Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9-5 auto has yet another niggly little problem - namely there's no backlight for the gear shift. Is this likely to be a blown fuse? If not, is it something a simpleton can fix?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Probably the bulb in the selector mechanism.

Buy one from Halfords or equivalent as the last time I got one from a dealer they were over £10.

Not overly involved to change but from memory a little fiddly. You pull up the rubber surround around the selector base then carefully prise up the plastic plate to access the bulb holder.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hold on a sec!! Are you saying the P R N D 3 2 1 should light up?

Damn!! I thought that they weren't supposed to be lit. I've had mine for months and just assumed that was the case. :mad:

Mine is a 2002 or is it only the 2005 on that had it?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
From MY03: green backlight with the selected position in yellow/amber. All models up to MY08 definitely have a "lightbox" fitted behind the selector window.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The things you learn on this site!
It's been annoying having to look at the gear position display on the instrument cluster in the dark mornings these past few months but I could not remember if my 2005 Vector ever had illumination by the gear shift. Had a look this morning and eventually found hidden under green and grey plastic strips a blown bulb!
New bulb cost £1-10 at the local A1 shop. All fixed now just in time for the brighter mornings!

·
Registered
132 Posts
The things you learn on this site!
It's been annoying having to look at the gear position display on the instrument cluster in the dark mornings these past few months but I could not remember if my 2005 Vector ever had illumination by the gear shift. Had a look this morning and eventually found hidden under green and grey plastic strips a blown bulb!
New bulb cost £1-10 at the local A1 shop. All fixed now just in time for the brighter mornings![/b]
Snap!

I had no idea. Does anyone know what bulb is required?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Got this sorted today, quite an easy fix if a little fiddly to get the old bulb out of it's holder.

A quick 'How to' for anyone who is interested:

Start by removing the outer rubber trim (it just prises off)

Then gently lever up the inner part

This leaves you with the green tinted plastic bit which slides back and forward as you move the gear selector. This is easily removed.

Below that is the graduated tint so that the light shining through is uniform

Bulb is beneath that and is a bit of a pain to get out.

The finished result.

Well chuffed with it as I didn't think they were supposed to light up.

:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.