Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 9000i 2 litre, going strong at 173k (with a little help from a different engine). I'm reasonably handy at general servicing, and I'd like to be able to set up/check the timing on the engine. I have a standard inductive strobe light,and I can clearly see the timing marks through the aperture above the flywheel. My distributor has no vacuum capsule, and I assume that all ignition advance is therefore done electronically - however, my Haynes manual doesn't describe how to set the ignition for "basic" timing - other than indicating that it is 16 deg BTDC. When I set the timing at idle rpm to 16 deg, the car is clearly mis-timed. Is there a method to force the ignition to the "basic" setting (I've found this on other (not SAAB) cars) or have I missed the plot ? Is there a decent reference service manual for the 9000 ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the particular engine I have (B202 with EZ ignition) the timing is definitely set by the distributor: if I turn it, it changes - I can see the timing marks move !! I don't believe I have a crank sensor. I've checked out the TSP web page suggested, which is extremely informative, but unfortunately doesn't cover setting the timing on ancient engines such as mine !!!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The 'basic' timing is set by the dizzy being turned, but if the ignition isn't advancing then the knock sensor (yep the 9000i has one)is faulty telling the engine to retard the ignition. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts