Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope you all had a Merry Christmas as I did, except for this, which occurred later in the day.

1996 2.3 LPT Automatic

Firstly the starter would not disengage until I manually turned the key back to the on position. This happened several times today for the first time.

Then tonight the starter would not engage by the key, despite the ignition lights being on and there is plenty of power from the battery.

After fiddling for a while and with the ignition on, I pressed the mobiliser button and it engaged the starter which started the engine.

That's it for now, I quickly parked in the garage and headed for the computer. It is a bad time of the year to get anything done and I had a big day planned for tomorrow.

Has anyone had similar problems, I checked the archives and there was nothing this specific, except that ignition switches can be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Ian,

Have had a problem with the ignition switch on an '87 car but not since. At that time the kind RAC (rescue-recovery) guy bypassed the starter circuit by removing the small wire from the starter (solenoid) and attaching another wire which he ran up to near the battery (positive). Then by turning on the ignition switch we were able to touch the wire to the positive terminal to start the engine.
We got some funny looks from passers by over the next few days until the garage were able to fix the switch properly.

HTH.

Nick.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nick,

I have made some further enquiries and bought a new ignition switch. Apparantly the electrical switch (as against the lock function) does include the mechanism which spring loads the key so it returns to the on position after the key is released.

I thought the price for the switch wasn't too bad either. Hopefully I will fit it tomorrow night as it will be about 75f in the evening!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just for the archive I have just finished changing the ignition switch.

There are 4 screws to remove the lower part of the steering column cowl, accessible from underneath. Then cut the electric tie which secures two cables to the bottom part of the switch to give better access.

This exposes the ignition switch which is located to the lock by 2 very small 'allen' grub screws. Once released, these screws allow the switch to be moved away and then the multi plug removed ready for the new item to be installed.

Releasing and refitting the multi plug is slightly tedious but achievable after a few minutes. Secure the new switch to the lock with the 2 grub screws and replace the electrical tie.

Works perfectly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts