Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Returning to my car after filling up with fuel, I found that the key would not turn the ignition barrel. The AA found this to be true also and very nicely towed me home. On speaking to my friendly Saab dealer they tell me that the barrel can come apart from the inside and that this can happen on older cars. Mines a Feb '95 with 204K miles so I guess it must be an older car now! I can puchase a new key barrel matched to my car ( so wont need a new key )for 100 notes.

The problem I now have is how to remove the old key barrel. The AA guy said you have to turn the key to first position ( which I can't do!) press in a plunger on the side of the barrel housing and out it pops. As I can't even turn to first position the only alternative is to carefully drill into the barrel and dismantle from the inside..... not that confident about this!!!!

Any suggestions please?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
From memory on my '87 the door handle and lock comes off easliy enough with a couple of bolts after you have removed the interior trim - will also have to pop off the little ball joint that connects to the central locking - If yours is the same you will at least have the unit out to be able to see what is holding the barrel in place.
The other option would be to obtain one from breakers with a key though you would then have odd locks.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I don't know how substantially built the Saab ignition barrel is but if all else fails you could screw a self tapper into it, attach a slide hammer to the screw and yank the lot out.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Originally posted by Derek:
[qb]I don't know how substantially built the Saab ignition barrel is but if all else fails you could screw a self tapper into it, attach a slide hammer to the screw and yank the lot out.  
 [/qb][/b]
There's almost certainly a teenager wearing a ball cap backwards living quite close by who could do this for a couple of cans of Stella.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If I remember rightly the barrel has to be in the 1st position and then there is a hole in the side where you have to poke a small pick type tool in to push in a locating pin, then the barrel should just slide out, but if you can't turn the barrel to the 1st position then that could be a problem.sorry hope you find a way

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ooops sorry about trying to to tell you something you already know(teach me to read the thread properly next time
)If you drill out the innards of the barrel you should get to a point where you can turn the barrel as there shouldn't be anything to stop it, the only thing that might be advisable is to remove the ignition switch from the back of the barrel just in case it's damaged in the process, other than that just drill as centrally as you can, try a centre drill to start off with they are generally better and as they don't bend about you can direct the drill to get it more central also make sure the drills are sharp and keep the drill speed low this should help prevent the drills from blunting. I wish you the best of luck

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have found a large flat blade screwdriver (or small cold chisel) and hammer work as an "emergency key", should get you to position 1 to then get the pin to pop the barrel off.

Good luck however you manage to get it off.

Pete

·
Registered
454 Posts
Most drills labeled as capable of drilling steel are only good for mild steel, for tough jobs I always use a B&D Phirana drill, it has a special point with a mini pilot to start you off with no slippage and then cuts at full diameter.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
It's a bu99er to do, but it can be dismantled and removed.

The cahp up the road had this happen on his '92 CS this summer.

The Saab dealer came out and spent 3 hours getting the old barrel off with assosrted tools.

Andrew

·
Registered
545 Posts
Have you tried using the spare key ? Had this problem on a Rover 214 and the key was worn so would not turn the ignition lock. Spare, unworn key was ok and worked so had another key cut. A bit of WD40 may help free it up. If applying a hammer and chisel be careful not to bend the steering. Also not sure about airbag.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right then!

I took stock of the situation, saab garage very unforthcoming with advice, having spent many thousands with them over the years... Oh and by the way the key barrel due for delivery today on an overnighter from sweden will arrive tomorrow. An over(two)nighter.... no advice and an extra days delay, thanks.

Taking Kommando's advice I got hold of a Pirahna (tough mutha)13mm drill bit and set to with the black and decker.
Could not gain any purchase on the face of the barrel. So sort of accidentally broke the front face off with screwdriver inserted partially into the lock and then used an adjustable wrench to turn clockwise.

The face of the lock down to about 3/8" broke away revealing the inards, brass sliders set withing harder metal. The drill culd purchase on this and very slowly and carefully over the next hour I drilled then prised at the inards, then drilled again etc.

This could have been easier if I had bought a 15mm drill and also removed the steering wheel, live and learn. I scuffed the leather bound wheel quite badly in one spot with the drill chuck, you can't see it but you can feel it (she said!).

There are about 8/9 of the brass sliders and I had to get through 6/7 (difficult to tell with all the swarf and mangled metal) before the lock eventually turned to position 1 and then I popped it out using the side plunger on the barrel housing as mentioned before. A quick clean up and now the 9000 awaits the new barrel which will hopefully arrive tomorrow morning. At least I can close the windows on both front doors, which were both fully open when the lock jammed( he certainly does have a sense of humour, what?).

Thanks again to all that responded. I now wear a baseball cap, back to front, and charge 2 bottles of Stella should you want help with your ignition lock....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Final detail.

When inserting new barrel, does not go in fully due to aforementioned plunger in the sprung out position.

You have to go to key position 1, manually depress plunger with one hand then apply clockwise pressure with the key, this should hold the plunger in long enough to press home, when you can hear a click as it engagaes in the housing slot.

Took me a few goes to get there but now all is well.

silly note: I took both my keys to the dealer to check they both worked the lock before purchasing, parts man said they occasionally get shipped through and then don't work

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.