Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm keeping my eye out for another 9k turbo, early '90s I'm thinking. Since I won't be able to get a Carlsson over here what would be the best model(s) to look at for performance and future modding?
Opinions please!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I guess I'm partial to the '91-'92 models because they are rated at 200hp stock and can be easily taken to 240-250hp range without a lot of expense. Of course there is the problem with TCS but I have yet to encounter any difficulties with mine.
Also, I understand that you can install a TCS bypass switch relatively easily so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I think the positives outweigh the negatives and the price for these years has probably bottomed out.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]the young tech from howe engineering that was at the track day knew what to do .... [/qb][/b]
I believe he had removed TCS altogether, but it does involve substitution of some parts as far as I know. There was a post here somewhere recently which shows how to wire in an "Off" switch, but I can't find it. Pretty sure it was Scaero Owner who posted it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hypothetical question then, is it possible to upgrade my pre-trionic electrics to trionic or if I dump the TCS/ABS system altogether and put a manual throttle body on it will I be able to replace the ECU with a non TCS/ABS cars ECU and then chip it?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Theoretically, yes. You'd need a lot of new wiring/connectors and some new sensors. It would be a major rewiring job and quite likely more trouble than it was worth. Pretty sure you'd also need to replace the ABS unit with a non-TCS ABS unit.

I believe there are a couple of tuners who will tune the DI/APC/LH system fitted to your car.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I believe he had removed TCS altogether, but it does involve substitution of some parts as far as I know. There was a post here somewhere recently which shows how to wire in an "Off" switch, but I can't find it. Pretty sure it was Scaero Owner who posted it.  [/b]
It was me, but I can't find it either..

Hang on, now I have, they are here

Andrtew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark in Ireland:
[qb]Please tell me more Bill, contact numbers at least....you cannot keep me hanging like that!!    [/qb][/b]
I might post something when I get round to it...

Oh, go on then. I'm pretty sure there are more but the only two I know of for sure are Speedparts (site is in Swedish, but their UK dealer is Elkparts, who don't actually list the DI/APC upgrade on their site, but give them a call) and Abbott Racing (listed under "Trionic power upgrades"
). I think Maptun might also do it. I think it's either Speedparts or Maptun who say they have problems with TCS but you're thinking of ditching that, right? No idea of the position with Abbott and DI/APC/TCS.

I imagine they will reprogramme both the DI/APC unit and the LH injection box. I know Abbott don't have as good a reputation for price/performance as the Swedish tuners, but they're local, which may count for something in some people's eyes.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Whew!! To my way of thinking that is just too much work for the gain!
With a chip for APC and an additional chip for the LH Jetronic you are pretty well covered and the price of both chips is about the same as a Trionic ECU upgrade.
You will get plenty of
without all the cost and rewiring that would be required to change everything over. Maybe I'm a little lazy at times but it just looks like a mountain of extra work to me!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb] the young tech from howe engineering that was at the track day knew what to do .... [/qb][/b]
I believe he had removed TCS altogether, [/qb][/b][/quote]I'm gonna have to get the full SP and post aren't I!

As far as I can remember.... slight mod to wiring, different ECu and remove and dump electronic throttle...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
With a chip for APC and an additional chip for the LH Jetronic you are pretty well covered and the price of both chips is about the same as a Trionic ECU upgrade.

Could you expand on that statement regarding what is done and what sort of gains can be had. Bear in mind I have a 92, 2.3T Carlsson. I have heard about ECU's being chipped without saying the car has TCS/ABS. Does that work? I have spoke to Maptun personally a while ago and they tried an upgrade on a friends car and couldn't get it to work correctly so never went any further.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Mark,
If you have a '92 then you probably don't have a Trionic ECU. The earlier models had two separate chips to handle the anti-knock, boost pressure and fuel requirements. One chip handles the APC functions; i.e. additional boost, etc., while the chip for the LH Jetronic handles the fuel feed, injection pulse timing and so forth. I know this isn't very technical but should give you an idea of what I mean by replacing both the APC and LH chips

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
is this a good time to chip (get it? chip? .. erm) in and say that own a 1992 2.3 Turbo DI/APC car without trionic but with APC and Bosch LH, oh and TCS...that has been upgraded by Abbott Racing ?

Started life as 200HP...

Full 3'' JT superflow sports exhaust system including 3'' downpipe ... + 15 to 20hp..
Abbott APC chip and uprated wastegate actuator... + 40hp..
JR Airfilter ... + 2hp
Abbott gas flowed cylinder head... + 10hp..
Forge recirculating dumpvalve ... nill hp.. but keeps boost clamped.

All in all around : 265+ hp... sustained boost pressure around 1.25-1.3bar at 3500rpm.. tapering to 1bar boost at 5000 rpm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts