Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poking round the engine bay...could hear a louder intake noise-eventually found that the vacuum from dump valve to 3 way adapter had a small tear in it. Idle cured.Yes!Now I just need a new turbo...
Electrical update.
Noticed today that when first starting the car it shows 12v on display(backed up from multimeter yesterday).After time (possibly rev dependant) all the lights got suddenly brighter and the display went up to 13.8/14v.
Both dashboard lights and headlights/tail lights got brighter. Started up the car 4 times and every time this happened.
Does that help?!!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Paul,

Sounds slightly odd that the lights get noticably brighter, but on the upside as you've already found and confirmed, the alternator does seem to be giving the right voltage to charge the battery.

Nick.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The EDU display defaults to showing battery volts for a while after you have started as a "health check" on the battery. Thereafter it will revert to whatever was previously selected. A good battery won't drop below 10V on cranking.

Having said that, I'd take the EDU display of battery volts with a modest pinch of salt. It doesn't come directly from the battery and will be affected by ancillary equipment. It can be calibrated with Tech 2. The main thing is to spot any change in readings from the norm.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car is now starting even after left for a couple of days. Bizarre!
But still having dim lights.Checked again and definite change in brightness.

At crank up 9.9v
settles at 11.3v
After a while and rev dependent goes up to 13.9/14v with a definite change in brightness.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Paul,

I've just refitted a misaligned headlight bulb in the carly tonight, and when checking the level noticed that after I'd started the car, 3-4 seconds later the lights suddenly got brighter....

Andrew

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'll still say that the battery connections could be a source of trouble, either the battery post to terminal or terminal to cable (it was crimped on to the cable on my car and seems to have been a source of intermittent resistance).

Nick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.