Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 92 9000S automatic, has been leaking fluid, and I cannot determine exactly what the fluid is, or where it is coming from. It's only apparent after the car has been parked several hours (like overnight). The leak seems about the size of a soda can top. I recently visited local dealer, and paid 600+ U.S. dollars, for what they called "Repairing/Replace" faulty waterpump. But when I advised waterpump was two months old, they suggested it needed an overhaul
. Okay, so they robbed me. End of that story

Now to the new discovery:

While looking under the hood, I noticed this little silver stem lodged on the inside well of car. Let me describe what it looks like. It's shy of maybe one inch long. One tip looks just like the pointed end of a spark plug. The other end has a pin tip that depresses in and out. It also has a rubber strip a bit from opposite end, as if to seal something. Additionally, the end that depresses in and out has a couple of threads near its tip to screw in (to something).

Now to my question:

Is it possible this little silver stem has come out of the rear side of my radiator? I'll explain why I ask this.

When facing the radiator, leaning inside, and looking straight down, there is this "black cog looking wheel" which protrudes from the rear side of radiator. It's located directly underneath the hose attached to rear of radiator. This cog wheel has a hole in the center of it. And when I felt around it, it seemed to have plenty of the loose fluid around it. Actually, the fluid is concentrated underneath this area (cog wheel).

As I am female, I did try to jam the spark plug looking silver stem into the hole, to see if it would fit . And it did go in the hole. But I wasn't sure how much pressure to apply, or if it really belonged in there, so I chickened out

I don't have a camera to show these parts, but I trust there is someone who can follow me

Could this leak be caused by this silver stem popping out? Does anyone know what this stem might actually be, or where it belongs? Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance

Debra

·
Registered
305 Posts
Noephyte:

First problem.....identify the fluid you are leaking..If it is green and tastes bitter.it is antifreeze.

If it is brown or pink and oily..transmission fluid.

Take a clean pice of paper and dab on the leak then identify color.

If your water pump was not sealed correctly you may have a leak. Otherwise you may have a tranny leak due to a loose bolt or worn gasket(fancy word for a rubber seal.)

Most of all don't take it back to the dealer. Find a good shop locally that specializes in Saabs. Ask for a free analysis of the problem and a written estimate for repair. If you feel uncomfortable at all with anything they say, shop for another repair shop.

Regarding the pin that you have described, I looked at my 9000 a minute ago and I am at a loss as to what you are describing.

Your post will probably be read by several of the Saabscene members tomorrow and you should get some great feedback from these experienced folks very soon.

Good Luck,

wherewolfe

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The blue liquid could be either anti-freeze or windscreen fluid,
The cog like appendage I think is one of the attachment points on the rad,the intercooler and oil-cooler attach to points that fit your description but these are only small 12or15mm,as too your spark plug like thing,I am at a loss,I have my engine out at the moment so I have had a quick scout around but that was no help.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike . If you stand facing the front of car, the leak appears to be coming from Left side near the Left headlight area. All the little puddles seem no further than maybe 6 inches away from front bumper.

Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
Greetings Neophyte from across the pond!. My guess, for what it's worth, I reckon your windscreen washer bottle has a small leak from one of the many small bore tubes that are attached to the electric pump. To access it, you have to remove the inner plastic lining from under the wheel arch. Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DeeVee, is the windshied fluid always pumping through even though I have never used it? I have had car for 2 months. Have never used windshield fluid because when I tried to fill what I thought was empty bottle, all of fluid ended up on the ground instantly. So, if this is cause of my leak, would this mean that fluid is serging through system everytime car is in motion? Is this how it works?

·
Registered
305 Posts
The windshield washer bottle remains stationary until you activate it with your wash nob on the column. It does not go thru the hoses to the hood mounted sprayers unless you activate it.

If you have not used it in a couple of months, gravity in the lines would force it back to the bottle.

The position you described the leak from is exactly where the ww fluid bottle(resevoir) is located.

Go the a yard and get a replacement bottle that will fit the opening your current one is in.
Cheaper than going to the dealer for one.

It is bolted in place so unbolt and disconnect the rubber line attached at the very bottom of the bottle. Put new one in place, connect rubber line and bolt back in.

wherewolfe

·
Registered
552 Posts
While looking under the hood, I noticed this little silver stem lodged on the inside well of car. Let me describe what it looks like. It's shy of maybe one inch long. One tip looks just like the pointed end of a spark plug. The other end has a pin tip that depresses in and out. It also has a rubber strip a bit from opposite end, as if to seal something. Additionally, the end that depresses in and out has a couple of threads near its tip to screw in (to something).  [/b]
I suspect that this has nothing to do with the fluid leak, but from your description, it does sound suspiciously like a tyre valve - you haven't had a new tyre fitted recently, have you? Though why they should leave the old valve in the engine bay is beyond me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts