Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried waterproofing the roof with 303 Fabric Guard (highly recommended in many forums) but after a heavy rain, the roof is wet. Water drips down on the passenger side and the two front seats are wet. I am not a highly copmpetent do-it-yourself person, but am willing to try on my own. The first step I believe would be to take the interior roof liner off to see if I can identify any leak. If you agree, is there someone who can tell me how to do this? Or if there is anyone who as better suggestions I am ready to try anything.

· Registered
6 Posts
I too have a convertible, 2007, which I purchased last year with only 28,000 miles on it. The top is in great shape, actually 'like new' as they say. I have used the 303 product, now twice over the year's time. Water beads up, and frost 'beads' up so to speak. Before purchasing I researched how difficult it might be to replace the top if need be. Suggest you search for 'how to' articles regarding replacing the Saab top and you may find some very helpful information as I did to give me the comfort of buying a convertible Saab.

· Registered
20 Posts
wow - I have a 2006 Saab 9-3 convertible and have never done anything to the roof. Thought about adding a water proof or maybe re-dying it as it is showing signs of fading. But not experiencing any roof leaks at all, just FYI. Did you experience any damage or leaks prior to deciding to add the additional water proofing?

· Registered
36 Posts
I have several SAABs and my wife’s 2005 conv we bought new. In the last 5-6 years it started leaking and I thought a new top was needed. The top looked ok but the car was wet inside after rains. I cleaned the top with mild soap, let it dry for a day in the sun and then rubbed a heavy coat of the starbright product in. I thought this is silly but worth a shot. Wow, black top looked great and dry inside, no kidding. Do it every 2-3 years now and no leaks.

STAR BRITE Waterproofing Spray, Waterproofer + Stain Repellent + UV Protection for Boat Covers, Car Covers, Bimini Tops, Tents, Jackets, Backpacks, Boots, Awnings, Patio Covers & More

Now it cannot fix the main header or other rubber big seals if they are damaged, but that is rare. And no I do not work for them ;).

· Registered
139 Posts
wow - I have a 2006 Saab 9-3 convertible and have never done anything to the roof. Thought about adding a water proof or maybe re-dying it as it is showing signs of fading. But not experiencing any roof leaks at all, just FYI. Did you experience any damage or leaks prior to deciding to add the additional water proofing?
You should scrub the roof at least once a year with the correct product to get all the dirt and green algae out, then spray with the waterproofer. It doesn't take long and is well worth it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts