Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted a uprated sound system in their saab ?

If so where did you install the new Amps. I am wanting to install my 2500w sound system, which I took our from my old car, but am not sure in the saab where the best place to mount the amps are.

Any ideas ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
id also like to know this as i want to tranfer my pioneer system into mine, can i just add has anyone ever had the idea of mounting a ipod on the dash and having it somehow connected to the amp and some sort of swith on the dash for stereo/ipod

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
If you can't hard wire it you might be able to use a "Transpod" or similar which is powered from 12v and turns the iPod output into a radio signal. Then you tune the radio to that frequency.

These things are not legal in the UK (unlicensed radio transmitter), but are OK in the USA. I don't know if you can use them in Australia.

·
Registered
139 Posts
9ooodave - Depends what model your Pioneer head unit is.

If you have blue connector on the back for a CD changer, then pioneer do an adapter to give you two Phono jacks that you can switch to using the source button on your head unit.

Works superbly with the iPod , allowing you to switch between the ipod/cd changer/tape/etc without repluging anything.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I stuck my 800watt 4 channel amp under the passenger's seat, made up a connector box with RCA plugs (just a box with 3x 4 RCA female plugs) then used the RCA out of my pioneer cd player, into the box, then the rca out of the box to go to the amp, and also plug my Creative Nomad Jukebox mp3 player into the spare RCA plugs on the box. gives me over 1000 songs to choose from.. the nomad sits in the ashtray on the dash so i can access it easily.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
upgraded ice ...

1. amps can go in the wheel well
there is plenty space for even quite a "thick" one ...my 1500 watt amp is there mounted to the underside of the wheel well cover
2. The front door bins can be modified to take 6 inch speakers..
the bins can be picked up quite easily at a scrapyard and modified..haynes do a manual wihich describes the procedure quite well
one of our members "ghost" has done this altho I have not seen him posting for a while
3.subs
loads of space in the boot for these
I use a mission on which fits along the bottom of the seats without taking two much room
the other thing to do is to mount acouple of "free air " woofers in the parcel shelf alpine make some good ones

Does anyone know the spec of the standard amp under the front seat in a 1995 9000 Aero ?  [/b]
35 watts per chanel...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Err... 2,500 watt? Let's assume that power rating bears any positive relation with reality and assume 13.8V at the power inputs (which you'd do well to reach given that the voltage regulator on Saabs is typically set at 14.2 - 14.4 V).
A quick calculation learns that even with a 100% efficient amp (typically about 70% for anything but a Class A or valve amplifier, in which case it's significantly lower, or a Class D amp which closes in on 100% efficient power conversion but is only useable for subs) at the amp's rated power, you're asking your 110Ah alternator to provide somewhere in the vicinity of 180A - and that is assuming that the engine miraculously doesn't need any electrics to keep running. ;-)

Of course, some show cars or SPL sound-off competitors (SPL meaning Sound Pressure Level or in layman's terms how far you can crank your sound system up in terms of unadulterated loudness) do have systems with multiple amps cranking out a couple of genuine kilowatts. They also have a brace of additional batteries in the boot, upgraded alternators and frankly are not for use on the road anyways - at shows you'll see them run off 230-12V DC converters.

The bottom line is, if there's something like '1,500 W' scribbled on a car audio amps heatsink in some kind of wacky font, in most cases it's a con. A good way to do a reality check on the manufacturer's power claim is to look at the power fuse. If there's a 30A fuse in your '800W' amp, the best you'll see in terms of real (RMS) power is about 250W.

Personally, I'd be very wary of amplifiers marketed by companies who need to lure customers into believing their amps are much more powerful than they really are. They're very likely not aimed at folks who value sound quality, as the way an amp handles music has generally very little to do with how many Watts it puts out. It's not like they are light bulbs or something.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I can feel the flames already...but....whats the point of that amount of sound in a car!!!!
My home system only has 40w per channel and the volume knob is barely off the stop before my neighbours 200 yards away are dancing in the street

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I can believe the 2500W is genuine- if it is the PMPO rather than RMS figure. The conversion ratio seems to differ between various manufacturere, but it is of the order of x10-20, so 2500W PMPO would be circa 125-250W RMS.

There's only one power worth bothering about reall- it's the RMS figure. Ideally, it should double for every halving of impedence. In the real world though that is rarely achievable, but it's a good guide to an amp's dynamic capability and bass damping.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
sorry guys... but there is a line of thinking that even the rms measurement does not represent how "loud " an amp can go...
It is the peak deliverable Amperage into a load that determines how quickly it can accelerate the piston (speaker cone )
This is why feeble valve amps of 5 watts can sound so loud ....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.