Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried to remove hub nut the other day to change broken driveshaft, but after taking skin off my knuckles, for the umteenth time, i gave up.

any advice to get this off would be appreciated.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I seem to remember when doing mine a year or two ago, that they are a bit of a sod.

I ended up having to get a friend stand on the brake pedal to stop the wheels turning even when in fourth gear!

And used a hurking great bar (about 3 foot) Don't forget their reverse threads.

Damo

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've always found the following method works fine to LOOSEN the hub nut:

Firmly apply handbrake with car in NEUTRAL and remove centre cap from wheel but DO NOT jack up car or remove wheel.

Use strong T bar with a 4 foot pipe on each end and two persons applying load.

Chock wheels with wooden blocks if necessary to stop car moving.

I like my gearbox and brakes!!!!

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
As a last resort, you could use a strong (3/4 inch) drive socket and bar with scaffold tube extension. Jack car up, fit socket to nut, rest end of scaffold tube on ground, wedge engine. Then lower car toward ground using the weight of the car to apply force to the spanner.

Probably a reasonably safe way if/when anything slips 'cos you are the jack handle's length away from the work. Keep the wheels on the car so that if it gives suddenly nothing but the tyres hit the ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.