Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a new carly the other day(hence the swopping of gear sticks)and its making quite a wooooooo noise when driving!!.it only does it when under load and encreases in pitch the faster i go, then peters out.this is louder when cold.its not the turbo,as its not a high pitch whistle(and its not really boosting when it does it)ive heard this before on my other 9k,s and i think its the fuel pump.what you all say?.if it is,is it a sign of impending doom or is it just a happy fuel pump,as i say weeeeeeeeeee when driving it .i could swop it with my other carly(still got it at the mo)and would that be easy??.thanks for any input

simon

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your cosmic,cosmic!!.it was the bottle of bud that did it for me
.i only thought that these made a noise when backing off the gas and not on it.am i dazed and confused?.does it mean its had it?,or nearly had it?.can i test it?or does it mean it likes bud?
cheers
simon

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Simon, I'm way out of my depth here cos I know a little about 9-5's
However if yours has the Bosch diaphram unit they split and emit the howl. They are about £35ish from Saab but if you get a forge one (£95ish) they are better and servicable. www.elkparts.co.uk stock them.

Can you borrow one (bosch or other) to try first from another saab

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers,cosmic for the quick f/b,will try swopping it for the one on my" now slowly getting canibalised" other carly!!.will let you know what happens
simon.

p.s if it is on the way out,could i be down on performance??

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jason,it got a smack on the wing on christmas eve.it went to her insurance and the independent accessor said it was £712 to fix it,BUT said he could get me £1050 if he wrote it off(class D cosmetic write off)so no probs with new mot or nasty "WRITE OFF" on log book.he said that garages always charge top dollar when they know its an insurance claim and thats why he had to see it(no fraud). got to keep the car ok and got a price of £450 to get it done myself(easy money!!).then i saw this other carly,well yummy and he wanted £1500 and i got it for £1300.its a real peach(no not covered with fur),but really clean.they still amaze me,how these beasts dont rust!!.goes like stink with a hoot though.the garage that the seller uses wants my old one now,so just got to swop a few things over to make a real pucker one.hope to get about £500 to £600 for it(air con gone(£450 quote for that),bash on wing and syncro going in second)she just had to go

simon.
will post some pics of it soon for you guys to swoon over!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just changed the dump valve today.the old one was totally shot.now its like a different car,so much more responsive.i presume that because the valve had broken,lots of boost was getting "leaked"back behind the turbo at all times.it only cost £26 as well .thanks all for the help
simon.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sminks, did it sound a lot like when you blow air over an empty bottle??

Edit: Just read your previous thread Cosmic. I manage to find something to fix about my car every visit to this site!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.