Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....parts from either Abbott or Trent, when you are living outside the U.K.
This might be a silly question but I honestly can't find anyone locally who does import these parts. I have been calling the dutch number listed on the Abbott site, but they do not seem to do business with Abbott anymore.
Anyone got any suggestions? Or is it as simple as give Abbott or Trent a call, tell what I would like to oreder and send some credit card details by Fax?

Thanx,

Tijn

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
With Trent Saab at least, things work exactly as you described. Where trying to reach them by email can be frustrating, they're brilliant on the phone. They also hold the record for prompt delivery as far as I'm concerned (and I've ordered parts for Saabine from just about anywhere - including a secondhand intake manifold (2.1l) that had to come from Canada...) - stuff that went out on Tuesday, was at my doorstep on Wednesday...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx! I thought so. Well, let's have a look at Trent and see what I can use ...Eric,do you have any recommendations? For instance, does that fan one can attach to the IC work?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
One other option that you have with Abbott, is to just drive down from Eindhoven to Hoek Van Holland and catch Stenna Line to Harwich. Abbott Racing is just 15 minutes from the harbour at Harwich.
You can get Abbott to fit the part(s) and test the car. Once you are happy, you can be back on the ferry to Holland in next to no time.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Tijn,

I've done what Stan suggests twice and if the weather is good upgrades can be fitted within the day.

I had my ECU and suspension upgrades fitted to my 9-3 fitted same day. I drove to Hoek van Holland, crossed on the Stenna DSS fast service (3hours 40mins) arrived at around 11am at the docks, drove to the Abbott workshop (which is about 6 mins from the docs), they worked on the car, finished at 5pm, drove to the docks, on the 7 o'clock service back to Holland, arrive at 11o'clock home.

The crossing at the time cost 400 guilders, but if add shipping costs to any bill, you will almost usually see 300 guilders + for heavy bits, plus it's hard to find mechanics as skillful and knowledgable in fitting bits (particularly suspension bits) as Abbott.. so 100 guilders more for a site visit is a good investment in know how.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Although I have never dealt with either company, I can agrre that going to their shop is probably the best route. Any problems that may arise can be dealt with on the spot. That is actually one of the reasons I went to Hirsch for my ECU upgrade.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi,

want to go to Abbot in April to have the ECU upgrade fitted ... but I had a look at the ferry tarifs :-( Is there any wa to get from Hoek to Harwich cheaper than 220 EURO ??? I would really appreciate your help!!!

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Nope.. other routes mean an overnight stay in a hotel, or even more expensive overnight crossings. Taking your car to England means paying either the ferrys or the channel tunnel.

In the past 2 years I've used the following :-

1) Calais to Dover Ferry ( 3hours drive from where I live to Calais then 1.5 hours on Ferry, then from Dover to Harwich about 2.5 hours drive) - Price circa 180 euro return. + HOTEL.
2) Calais to Folkstone (Channel Tunnel) Same long trip as above - Price circa 370 Euro return. + HOTEL
3) Hoek van Holland to Harwich (10 min drive from where I live to Hoek, 3 Hours 40mins on Ferry, then 10 min drive to Abbott. - 200 to 220 euro
4) Europoort (Rotterdam) to Hull (45 min drive from where I live to Europoort, then overnight ferry (so around 16hours) on Ferry, then 3 to 4 hour drive to Abbott - 300 euro
5) Ijmuiden to Newcastle (1 hour drive from where I live to Ijmuiden), then overnight ferry (around 17 hours) on Ferry, then 6 hour drive to Abbott - 340 euro. + HOTEL

The cheapest way to get to England is by plane (Easyjet) at around 130 euro average... but that doesn't bring your car.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Note for Mark A:
In an earlier post you mentioned that it is 6 minutes from the docks to Abbott. In the above post it is 10 minutes.
I assume that the 6 minutes is with the 9-3, and the 10 minutes is with the 9000?
I did it in 15 minutes with a faulty wastegate, and unfamiliarity with those winding roads to that famous farm. Thus assuming my guess is correct, the travelling times are OK .

By the way Philip: don't feed or stroke Ed's dogs
!

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
my 9000 has 90 horsepower more than my 9-3 so it could be the otherway around... but at any rate.. the distance is nothing from Harwich to Manningtree Farm

·
Registered
257 Posts
To SteveN

as we have a similar set up - let me know what tacho reading you have for 70mph in 5th and 4th (lets keep it sane ) and I'll check it against mine.

Incidentally do you have VSS or cruise? Might make a difference to the programme written to the ecu? clutching at straws?

Alyn

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
In an earlier post you mentioned that it is 6 minutes from the docks to Abbott. In the above post it is 10 minutes.
I assume that the 6 minutes is with the 9-3, and the 10 minutes is with the 9000?
I did it in 15 minutes with a faulty wastegate, and unfamiliarity with those winding roads to that famous farm. Thus assuming my guess is correct, the travelling times are OK  .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Surely the 10 mins is Harwich Dock to Abbott and 6 mins is Abbott to Harwich Dock  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my 9000 has 90 horsepower more than my 9-3 so it could be the otherway around... but at any rate.. the distance is nothing from Harwich to Manningtree Farm  [/b]
Having been there once, and ridden with the Abbotts in several of their cars, I believe the travel time from Harwich to Manningtree Farm or vice versa has not as much correlation with the amount of hp you're running as with the size of your b*lls...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Haveing been there, done that, got the T shirt*... The travel time down the A Roads is directly correlated with a) your amount of power/torque and B) your disregard for national speed limits

The travel time down circa 2 miles of B road to the farm is, as Eric said, related more directly to your gonadic rather than cubic capacity but also relies heavily on your cars handling capabilties . Maybe it's the local roads that have made Abbott just about the definitive Saab handling experts...

*Dogs never caused me a problem- even when I stroked them. Show no fear, that's what I say...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]*Dogs never caused me a problem- even when I stroked them. Show no fear, that's what I say... [/qb][/b]
"Show no fear" is my motto with dogs. I like dogs a lot, but there are those which are best shown respect - like my friends' old german shepherd which was psychopathic and had seriously damaged some people in its time. They used to put it out in the garden when they had guests, but I always insisted they keep it in when I was there. I'm a member of a superior species, after all, and refuse to be afraid of a mere dog (even if he was the size of a small horse). He used to sit down and I'd stroke him, but he was never comfortable and always on his guard. I still have the scars on my neck from the last day I saw him - he died shortly afterwards (probably from food-poisoning
). Their new dog (the great-nephew of the old one) is completely different and I'm his most favouritest visitor. He's a bit tiring, though.

I always talk to Ed's dogs as I walk past while they bark. Never felt the need to stroke one, but never felt in danger either.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by blue99turbo:
[qb]I can agrre that going to their shop is probably the best route.  Any problems that may arise can be dealt with on the spot.[/qb][/b]
When I get bored with the power output of my car and am ready for the next step, I'd like to take it to Maptun for this very reason. And, of course, to meet Johnny and Fredrik and see their cars, and get the chance to drive some of the Swedish roads.

I don't know whether I will, but I'd like to.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]*Dogs never caused me a problem- even when I stroked them. Show no fear, that's what I say... [/qb][/b]
"Show no fear" is my motto with dogs. I like dogs a lot, but there are those which are best shown respect - like my friends' old german shepherd which was psychopathic and had seriously damaged some people in its time. They used to put it out in the garden when they had guests, but I always insisted they keep it in when I was there. I'm a member of a superior species, after all, and refuse to be afraid of a mere dog (even if he was the size of a small horse). He used to sit down and I'd stroke him, but he was never comfortable and always on his guard. I still have the scars on my neck from the last day I saw him - he died shortly afterwards (probably from food-poisoning
). Their new dog (the great-nephew of the old one) is completely different and I'm his most favouritest visitor. He's a bit tiring, though.

I always talk to Ed's dogs as I walk past while they bark. Never felt the need to stroke one, but never felt in danger either. [/qb][/b][/quote]No need to worry about the dogs, or at least the one that was there 'on patrol' a few weeks ago on my visit.

He did bark a lot as I drove up and trotted round to check me out when I (slowly ) opened the car door with a cautious 'hello?'. I didn’t loose my hand when I reached out to stroke him, in fact he seemed quite friendly.

Normally, it’s little dogs that are likely bite you, not the big ones.

I suppose if you did have problems with them, at least with would give you an excuse to get your foot down to try out your new mods as you leave!
Honest officer, I was being chased by a dog the size of a small donkey...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts