Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SaabScene.com Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So "how to" install an amp in your boot and connect to 6x9 speakers. Firstly in my 9-3 the 6x9 speakers frames are empty in the boot so it's an easy clean option if you want better sound, you can opt for a sub obviously.

So after much searching and not finding a lot of info on the net here's the deal with fitting an amp to a facelift Saab 9-3. My amp has high & low inputs, I tested both and couldnt tell the difference in sound but opted for low inputs as it was a tidier install.

1) Open boot as you wont be able to do this after the battery has been disconnected! Disconnect negative from battery. Firewall access is the same as pre-facelift for the Amp power cable.
2) Getting the cable to the boot is a doddle, just remove the nearside fusebox cover by the front door, then remove the glovebox by removing the 4 torx screws (2 inside the glovebox and 2 below), then pull out the gloveboxe and follow the door plastics to the boot and under the rear bench seat.
3) Fitted new 6x9's
4) Tested the pre-amp Front Left & Front Right connected to a Line out converter to RCA.But by doing this compromises the sound going to the existing front left & door speakers as I was splitting the input from the head unit, so...
6) I then tried connecting to the Rear preamp connections from the head unit - same affect sound wise and the fronts are back to normal. So I've left the new amp feed off the rear pre-amps and the only downside is that the small rear speakers no longer work what a crying shame (not). I bought a line out converter which converts the preamp cables to RCA - you will need this as well. You can find them on ebay.

- So word of advice - no need to take the feed from the fronts, the rears are just as good.

7) Connected the remote turn on from the Aerial remote turn on in the right hand side quarter panel I really didnt want to use a fuse tap. The aerial remote works fine as a remote turn on to the amp. It's the middle cable you need to connect to from the aerial amp.
8) Ground the amp by using the existing ground in the boot by the speaker hosing (near side).
9) I've screwed the amp to the carpet for the time being, just keeping an eye on heat, I might fit it vertically along the left hand side but will need some MDF behind the carpet to hold the amp in place.
10) All fitted and reconnected the battery.Sound wise, WOW - I've had these 6x9's in the car for over a year connected to the rear speaker cables and it's like they've just had 10 cans of red bull - they've come alive! The sound is so rounded now, quality is amazing. It just fills the car. I need to get some dynamat or something similar to help with the vibrations in the rear parcel shelf as I'm sure I could increase the gain if I wanted.

Good luck! Be patient it takes time.

·
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day 3 - tied all cables up and tightened the screws on the 6x9's, dynamat hasnt turned up yet but OMG no more bass rattle! Awesome....

·
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's my next failure - was thinking about a Sub, but dont want it too boomy. How did you install to your rear seat? I was worried about damaging the seat etc.

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
1.5mm drill and little screws holes cant be seen if removed as the fluff hides it. i mounted them vertically on each seat looks better than them falling about when i turn into shumacher lol

·
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Full range - I've tried both, it was the Saab amp that filters the rears so they only act as fillers, put it this way I'm now connected to my rear pre-amps via a LOC -> RCA to my Vibe amp and vibe 6x9's and I get full range all round, almost sounds like surround sound now. God knows why Saab didnt finish the job properly. Dont even think I'll bother with a sub in the boot, sounds amazing as it is. Proper quality sound so glad I did it.

Dynamatted my rear shelf today - taken away all the vibration, especially when standing outside of the car - great stuff but messy!

One thing I have noticed with the sound on pretty much full chat you dont hear a lot outside of the car which indicates some good sound insulation on Saab behalf I guess.

Think I'll dynamat around the door speakers and that'll be job done then.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Full range - I've tried both, it was the Saab amp that filters the rears so they only act as fillers, put it this way I'm now connected to my rear pre-amps via a LOC -> RCA to my Vibe amp and vibe 6x9's and I get full range all round, almost sounds like surround sound now. God knows why Saab didnt finish the job properly. Dont even think I'll bother with a sub in the boot, sounds amazing as it is. Proper quality sound so glad I did it.

Dynamatted my rear shelf today - taken away all the vibration, especially when standing outside of the car - great stuff but messy!

One thing I have noticed with the sound on pretty much full chat you dont hear a lot outside of the car which indicates some good sound insulation on Saab behalf I guess.

Think I'll dynamat around the door speakers and that'll be job done then.

OK, basically I'm looking to ad a 4ch amp to run 6x9's and a sub, and as far as I understand it would be best to get the signal from pre-amp rear input and then I could just use RCA Y-splitters to feed the same signal to both 6x9's and subwoofer's channels?

·
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, basically I'm looking to ad a 4ch amp to run 6x9's and a sub, and as far as I understand it would be best to get the signal from pre-amp rear input and then I could just use RCA Y-splitters to feed the same signal to both 6x9's and subwoofer's channels?
Yes - do it! The pre-amp cables are a bit fiddly so take your time.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Couple of questions as I haven't got an 07>
Why do you need a line level converter (LOC) for pre amp signal?
What kind of signal is fed to amp1?
Possible to take a picture of where you tapped the signal from?

I noticed someone asked about installing an amp into an 07> & thought a little more info may help a novice
Cheers

·
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Couple of questions as I haven't got an 07>
Why do you need a line level converter (LOC) for pre amp signal?
What kind of signal is fed to amp1?
Possible to take a picture of where you tapped the signal from?

I noticed someone asked about installing an amp into an 07> & thought a little more info may help a novice
Cheers
Need a LOC to convert the speaker cable to RCA, my amp has low & high inputs and just chose to LOC from the AMP in the boot.

But, I've now resolved my pop noise by tapping into the speaker outs at the back of the head unit to a LOC and then running RCA's down the opposite side of the car.

In the 07+ 9-3 there is only 1 amp (non bose) which is in the boot, so you only have 2 options - tap into the preamps in the boot or at the back of the headunit, same cables that run all the way from the back of the headunit to the amp in the boot. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have tried to get an amp / sub working in my 07 Saab 93 but without much luck. I'm using an LOC to RCA converter and have tried taking it from the rear preamp feed just before the amp in the boot (no sound at all).. I then tried the feed coming out of the amp (tried both front and back) but still not what I was expecting. sub sound less then the door speakers. also noticed the it will still work if I pull out the black RCA lead from the external amp but not if I just disconnect the red one. the bits I'm using are: sub- JBL GT5-10 250w RMS 4phms and a 400w 2 channel amp bridged to 1x 200w RMS 4 ohms

1 - 15 of 15 Posts