Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having changed the antifreeze over the weekend i disturbed the bottom hose. I cleaned round the pipe from the engine and put a new jubilee clip on the hose.

Problem is that the joint now leaks enough to put a damp patch under the front of the car. Have already put some Barrs leak stop in.

Question is, how tight can you tighten the jubilee clip before you damage the pipe the hose fits onto. At the moment I've tightened the clip just using a medium size screw driver but if i use a 7mm socket I could probably tighten it some more.

I know I may appear a bit simple asking this question, but if I crush the pipe i would be deeply unhappy (as well as much poorer).

Cheers

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Uuurrghh! Aaargh! No! Leak stop? Foul stuff!! Although it might stop some leaks, it also reduces the cooling ability, which could be a problem if you have a turbo motor.

The hose clamp shouldn't need very much tightening- a screwdriver should be more than adequate. It sounds like either you've got a hole in it or there's some debris around the fitting that's preventing a proper seal. I'd take it off, clean it thoroughly (and flush the system of leak stop while you're at it!), reassemble, fill the system with water only to try it and if ok, then put new antifreeze in.

Mark

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Was it the water pump end that's leaking or the radiator end? I'd be fairly sure the threads on the clip would start to give up before you crushed that big aluminium pipe coming out of the pump. However, I imagine the plastic pipe on the end of the radiator is a bit less robust.

I had the same problem with the top hose after changing the thermostat. I cleaned the end of the thermostat housing and the inside of the hose, then clamped it pretty tight.

I agree about the Barr's Leaks. Regardless of what some people in the US advocate, I think it does more harm than good, and there are both misinformation and apparently false claims about it. Yes, Jaguar used to install it at the factory and recommend adding it at every coolant change, but they don't recommend it any more. Just ask any Jaguar enthusiast (especially one with an old V12) what they think of Barr's Leaks. Stand at greater than arm's length when you do, though. The concensus seems to be that it was all so that Jaguar didn't have to suffer the embarrassment of coolant leaks on brand new cars.

I believe Barr's market a product to flush this stuff out. It's the only product they make that I would consider using.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I use a 7mm nut driver (screwdriver with a deep hex socket on the end) to tighten these clips and if the hose is in good condition you should have no problems with similarly tightened nuts. New antifreeze is notorious for finding leaks though. Are you sure it isn't coming from the water pump?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything was OK "down below" until i took the bottom hose off to drain all the fluid out, so hopefully its not the water pump.

I got the "that the best antifreeze for SAAB Turbos" £4/litre antifrezze. Its red and smells different to the bluecol cheapo stuff i had in before. I've gone for a stonger antifreeze/water mix aswell, so perhaps a combintion of all these things allows a bit of fluid to drip out.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
If your car is indeed a turbo then I wouldn't recommend exceeding the concentration of anitfreeze to water- if anything I would weaken it slightly. Reason? Antifreeze might be a good anti-freeze and corrosion inhibitor, but it really reduces the ability of water to cool. What do race cars use? Pretty much pure water, because of it's high SHC and good conduction properties.

FWIW I run 3 rather than 4 litres of antifreeze (the new pink Saab stuff) with water wetter additive to help keep things cool. I reckon there's more than enough protection for the average Brit winter with that.

Mark

·
Registered
243 Posts
>What do race cars use? Pretty much pure water<

Eeeeeerrrrr sorry, no they don't - especialy if they have engines which are just a few steps up from a road engine. More likely to have a 50:50 mixture of 'cheap' anti freeze to water and most of a bottle of Red Line 'Water Weter' in my experience.

Use the 7mm socket to tighten the clip after you've flushed the Barrs stuff from the system and you should be fine.

Saab specific antifreeze - let me guess, it was reasuringly expensive Sorry but good as they are Saab engines aren't anywhere near special enough to justify special Saab antifreeze.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I think it depends on the classification of racing what they use... e.g. my garage owner races bikes and they're only allowed water (Not even wetter, as that makes the track too slippery after spills apparently).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts