Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a car for my father, and he wants a CSE 2.0 LPT (in silver/leather, low-mileage, late year, bargain price - but we're prepared to compromise a bit!)

In the course of scouring the ads, I found a manual version (in silver), cloth, FSSH, bargain price, etc. I was so tempted, I bought it for myself as a backup for the Aero (tuned, suspension, a little uncivilised and unwieldy now). And I love it.

Anyway, having now driven the manual version, I drove my first ever 9000 2.0 LPT auto. It was a big disappointment, but there was a funny whining noise from the engine/transmission area that leads me to believe there was a fault. The car had only done 60K miles, but it could hardly get out of its own way. Even kicking it down gave rise to a slow, painful climb up the rev range, and even at 4000 RPM, there was no "go".

I didn't buy the car anyway because of the noise, but should the auto be that much slower than the manual (and significantly slower than my dad's awful Nissan Primera auto, which is slow)? I've driven LPT auto versions of the 9-3 and 9-5, and even with "sport" mode switched off, they're pretty capable cars with a bit of "oomph".

Am I expecting too much?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interesting to hear about the whine.

My 2.0CSE LPT auto does the same, but only in first gear.

Its been like that for the last 80k miles with no probs - I've always assumed its just got a straight cut first gear.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
my 2.3t also whines in the intermediate gears,no loss in performance though,local transmission expert tells me noise is caused by the internal pump,quoted me £350 + vat to put right.
Mike

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The whine was there even in "Park". It was just there, all the time the engine was running. I think it was related to engine revs rather than gear or road speed.

There could have been a separate fault on the car, though. It looked a bit neglected and I wouldn't have been surprised if it were actually a 2.0 NPT (no-pressure turbo) due to the wastegate rod having fallen off or something and never being fixed, or perhaps the turbo had seized due to neglect of oil changes. I only looked under the bonnet before I drove it and realised it was underpowered. After that I wasn't interested. Perhaps if it were for myself as a project, but it still just looked a bit tatty which often means trouble.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys.
I bought a P-reg '96 CSE 2.0LPT auto last night in silver/black leather. Much tidier than the other one too. It drove better and didn't whine, and was more responsive, although still a bit slow compared to the manual. Nice car, though, if you like autos.

Do all the autos have a stiff accelerator? The two I drove did, but my manual 2.0LPT has a very light accelerator. The 2.3Ts, including my Aero, have a stiff accelerator, but that's OK as you don't need to use as much accelerator in normal driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.