Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much power can you get out of an auto aero. I realise it has only 200bhp in standard form and you can't get as much as a manual but wondered if anyone has upgraded one apart from Giles at Abbott. This one is a 1996 fssh 54000miles.

·
Registered
453 Posts
one of the experts will be along in a mo to answer your question accurately!

But given that the manual version had 225bhp, and the auto only 200bhp, it must have been quite close to its reliable limit for them to cut the power...

·
Registered
42 Posts
hi,

I have maptun stage3 in my 9000CS 2.0LPT autobox for 4 months now. Found no problem with the autobox so far. Gear change during accelleration is as smooth as before.
Will upgrade to stage4 or 5 very soon.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
The question is not so much power.. as how much extra torque will the autobox handle.

The rated limit is circa 290NM of torque. (213lb/ft).

I uprated my 2.3 FPT 9000 with an Abbott ECU, wastegate actuator, gas flowed head, 3'' downpipe and exhaust, no airco rad etc.. and about 6 weeks later the car had destroyed it's clutch pack and governor.

I've no idea what the torque on the car is.. but it's pretty big. If you want to mod your auto... treat the auto as a disposable item.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I think there may be a growing market for upgraded tranny's now. Perhaps one of the tuner's should get into the business of performance rebuilds for them.

Generally the sun gears and casing can take as much as the manual, but the clutch packs and shift rates are specific for a STOCK power output. If you go tampering they give out quickly.

However with upgraded, torque converter, clutch packs and brake bands there's no reason why an auto couldn't take as much torque and power as a manual.

Turbo cars also respond well to a properly built auto because there is no need to dump boost between shifts, and it allows the turbo to stay spooled at all times due to the inherant slip in the torque conversion system. If the auto is setup properly, even from a standing start the rpm at full throttle will be no less than 3K, and the turbo already fully spooled for any occasion.

Most turbo drag racers use automatics, properly built ones that is.

It is probably best to use a manual for a street car. But since most Saaber's love to be unique, a properly built high output auto might fit the bill. First person to properly market such a staged setup could really make some money.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]Most turbo drag racers use automatics, properly built ones that is.

Dubbya~ [/qb][/b]
I doubt they use the Austrian ZF 4HP18
automatic box thats in the 9000. There isn't much of a scene in Europe for drag racing automatic european cars.

When I had my auto box rebuilt (1800 Euro!!!) I asked them to strengthen it, but there wasn't an option on the ZF to pack the clutch pack and there was no uprated off the shelf torque convertor.. as there are for American GM transmissions.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Originally posted by MarkA (Saab 'M-F' 9-3):
[qb]
I doubt they use the Austrian ZF 4HP18 automatic box thats in the 9000. [/qb][/quote]

Why do you call it an Austrian box? Mine says built in Saarbrucken (Germany, but very nearly France) on it.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]
Originally posted by MarkA (Saab 'M-F' 9-3):
[qb]
I doubt they use the Austrian ZF 4HP18 automatic box thats in the 9000. [/qb]
Why do you call it an Austrian box? Mine says built in Saarbrucken (Germany, but very nearly France) on it. [/qb][/quote]

You are absolutely right.. ZF auto transmissions for cars are based in Saarbruken... transmission for agricultural stuff is based in Steyr Austria.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Pomlt....I read you have a stage 3 with your auto, my god!!.

And you dont have any problems with it I guess, the only really problem I have with mine (apart from it's an auto ) is (yes I know thats why buy auto's) is the g/change.

It's allways changes either to soon or more often that not, to late. I know when I'd like to "change up" but "it" has other ideas, thats the pita about them.

Plus I'm getting a whine when going from 2-3 and sometimes 3-4 now. But a few have said this lub fluid stuff from Saab should do the trick.

I deffinately still prefer manuals, but maybe (jut maybe) if all it needs as adjusting the cable/oil it cures it, well who knows!.

But I do understand what you say about turbo's spooling up ect and kick down and not loosing momentum, kinda makes you wonder!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts