Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

my 9-3 Viggen Convertible, MapTun Stage III, does use quite a bit of oil, especially on the race track or if I drive with high Autobahn Speeds.

I tried two different oils, Mobil 1 0W40 and after an oil change Mobil S Extreme 10W40, but the result is nearly the same: If I drive very slow, oil use is barely noticeable, I would say 1 liter on 3000 km. But after the trip to the Ring on Saturday I had to top of the oil with 0,5 l. On the last 8000 km (since I installed my first ECU upgrade), average oil use was 0,5l per 1000 km.

Is this normal or should I have the car checked? I have still warranty on it

Thanks,

Philip

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The last time I had a good thrash, returning from skiing (Bregenz to Stuttgart, and Stuttgart to Aachen the next day), with an indicated 147 mph for large chunks of the journey, my car used no oil whatsoever. This was running on Castrol RS 0W-40. This was in March, but the weather was relatively mild. However water, & I expect oil, temperatures were less than they would be in summer.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Get it checked, Phillip. In over 95,000 miles and 62 laps worth of it on the Ring, I have never had to add any oil. You have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, guys. I fixed a date at the Saab Dealer for Monday morning. Thanks for your many replys!

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
There was probably some kind of PCV valve someplace (I'm not very familliar with the Viggen's engine just yet.) that had a defect. The higher boost pressure might have just exacerbated it's condition so that it's failure coincided with the increase in hp.

I'm sure us Viggen owners would also benefit from knowing what went wrong in case it turns out to be a fairly common issue. (Though judging from the other replies it looks to be a bit of a Red Herring.) Keep us posted if you have the time.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,

according to the WIS, the B235R engine doesn´t have the Positive Crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve. Did I miss something?

BTW, I don´t think my car is blowing smoke ...

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'm not sure this will help as the dealer will probably find the culprit, but ...

When I was re-torquing the head bolts over the weekend I had to remove the valve cover. When I went to take out the piece that goes to the PCV I thought it just popped right out like the one on my 92 900. It doesn't. Go figure.
So of course, being brittle as it is, with very little force it snapped. DRAT! So I grabbed the piece from my C900 and checked to see if it at least fit for temporary purposes. (It was the weekend and the dealer close by was closed.)

Alas it DOES indeed fit! But the hoses won't connect because of the different angles. So as a temporary solution we attached a PCV filter to the big hose and reconnected the small hose. So far everything seems fine.

No unusual oil consumption, no unusual gas mileage, and no change in performance.

Of course as soon as I can get myself down to a dealer I will replace it with the factory one. HOWEVER! This may be usefull because it disables the PCV system. So if the dealer can't spot the fault, it's a good way to check to see if this is indeed the issue. At least it's a thought. Just thought I'd put that in case you want some ideas later down the road. Cheers! Keep on Saabin'

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
my modified aero does use some oil and it sounds just about the same ..however I believe it is the turbo seals that are on the way out ..
on full boost (1.4 bar )/full throttle there is a large puff of of smoke from the tailpipe (this was the same symptoms which pre-cluded my last turbo failure )
The car is not showing any other signs of problems
the turbo will be changed at the next upgrade (maptun stage 5+)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Here is a link to the PCV Check Valve which could be the culprit for unusually high oil loss.

If the valve is good you should be able to blow air into the intake manifold through it, but not suck air out. Just tested mine, it's working. Perhaps not the issue, but if the valve fails the crankcase could become slightly pressurized. Most of the inlet air would likely just proceed into the other hose which leads to the intake before the turbo IIRC. I'm not sure if a bad valve would significantly affect anything though as the piece on the valve cover appears to have a restrictor to keep too much air from going either way, irrespective of any sorta valve.
Oh well ... always worth a checkup when something suspicious is afoot aye?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, Adrian, thanks for the help. I found the valve, and I was able to blow trough it in flow direction (I had to blow very hard), but not to suck trough it. I guess the valve is OK, then?

Thanks,

Philip

P.S. BTW, part number of the hose including the valve is 9189622, correct?

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I think the valve may be stuck or blocked if you have to blow very hard.

As I understand it, the valve is there to prevent turbo pressure reaching the engine but allows the inlet vacuum to suck fumes from the engine. I thought the valve was lightly sprung open so that it gave free passage for the engine to remove the oil fumes and that the turbo pressure shut the PCV valve against the spring. So the default position should be free and open.

Can any one confirm this? I'm going from memory and it's a while since I blew through mine.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The mod I'd mentioned in one of those threads is already beeing recalled. There is a new mod around. ANd at least over here in Holland it is a warranty job. Hoses are beeing changed rerouted and connected to different parts.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by Injectie:
[qb]The mod I'd mentioned in one of those threads is already beeing recalled. There is a new mod around. ANd at least over here in Holland it is a warranty job. Hoses are beeing changed rerouted and connected to different parts. [/qb][/b]
Be interested to get full details please injectie!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Trent Saab do an alternative (and much stronger) PCV valve here .

I don't have an idea on cost, but the Saab part was nearly £22(!) when I replaced mine a while back.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts