Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My MY95 FSSH 9000 non-turbo has done 95K, occasionally I hear a very faint squeal on drive take up in first gear from stationary, could this be the early signs of something clutchy?

Is this mileage normal on an original clutch, or am I on borrowed time and should I now start saving???? Otherwise the car is
at the moment.

I would be interested in your opinions, regards green9000

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
102K on a 1996 Aero - clutch going strong/feels fine (famous last words). If your car has had 95K of stop start or a life in traffic then it may be getting tired but it so much depends on driving style etc. I bet the clutch lifespan is between 80k and 180k for the 2 extremes.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
135,000m on the Aero but didn't need changing, it was dome when the gearbox was rebuild as chaep maintainence

155,000m on the 2.3 Carlsson, again didn't need it, but was done when the new gearbox went in.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero (Maptun stg3):
[qb]135,000m on the Aero but didn't need changing, it was dome when the gearbox was rebuild as chaep maintainence

155,000m on the 2.3 Carlsson, again didn't need it, but was done when the new gearbox went in.

Andrew [/qb][/b]
There;'s something wrong when the clutch lasts the life of the car, but the gearbox is a consumable item!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by PHudson:
[qb]There;'s something wrong when the clutch lasts the life of the car, but the gearbox is a consumable item!  
     :eek:  [/qb][/b]
Not at all... it depends on your driving style... chug it round town and the clutch will die first. Enjoy spirited driving on A roads with the prodigious torque of the higher tuned engines and the gearbox will die first.

You press the pedal, you take your choice

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by PHudson:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Scaero (Maptun stg3):
[qb] 135,000m on the Aero but didn't need changing, it was dome when the gearbox was rebuild as chaep maintainence

Andrew [/qb][/b]
There;'s something wrong when the clutch lasts the life of the car, but the gearbox is a consumable item!
[/qb][/b][/quote]Yes, I've been beginning to think that too.

Andrew

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Actually one of the biggest weaknesses in the 9k box is not the gears but a poxy $%&* circlip holding 4th gear in place in the shaft. Under high torque loadings it eventually gives up, and lets 4th slide along and do all sorts of other damage

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would say, if you get 100,000 miles outta a clutch, it's done well. My VW had it don around 92,000 (my dad is light on the clutch) I just did my 9000T at about 270,000 (not the first time, prob. the 3rd clutch I'd guess) So if it's near 100K and it's starting to feel jittery and slipping, either change it now, or do what I did with my VW - wait till it can't move on it's own But then you'll hafta tow it from where it lays... I got lucky and was able to push it a block and 1/2 up hill, then towed the other 1/2 with my sisters car back to my house. (I was taking a ride around the block trying to finish off the clutch.... i was successfull )
But that's my imput!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I had the clutch changed on my '96 Aero when the engine blew up (same place you got your gearbox, Colin). At 135K miles it was only 2/3 worn. After some tuning work, the new clutch started to slip about 15-20K miles later on a particularly cold night when the turbo was boosting like crazy and the poor clutch was probably trying to transmit well over 350lbft of torque. An AP Racing clutch plate has cured that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your responses, most of the miles are done and have been done on the lovely M5 (South of Brum!) so only stopping and starting when it becomes a car park. So I reckon she is just run in then.......and whats more I can now justify a bit of spending on some sale bargains I have spotted!

Kind regards, green9000

·
Registered
353 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about the squeaking noise.
Mine has done the same for the last couple of years ( and my Rover before that did it ). Unless
it occurs with any other symptoms.
154 k on orig clutch and still going strong !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.