Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father has a 9000 CSE “P” plate, 120K. Has anyone had problems with there electrics on these things? The car seems to get through headlamps, spots and read driving light bulbs at the rate of 1 nearly every 1000 miles. As he is doing about 1000 miles a week this is pretty annoying! Does anyone think this is a specific car problem or a problem generally with 9000’s.

P.S. I am new to this sight (a couple of weeks) and I am really impressed, lots of cool interesting chat! I have a 900 T16 conv., which I am very proud of. Great to see others are as interested by the Saab badge as I.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I looked at a 96 CSE T Auto yesterday (private sale) and noted from service info. that it had suffered considerable electrical woes including several bulb replacements. I am beginning to go off the idea of the later 9000's in favour of K-L-M reg. cars. Am I right to do this?

·
Registered
183 Posts
<Snip>
I am beginning to go off the idea of the later 9000's in favour of K-L-M reg. cars. Am I right to do this?
<End>

Just think... With all the money you'll save buying an older car the more bulbs will need to fail to have emptied your wallet to equal what you could have spent buying a later car. ;o)

Seriously though. I think I prefer the earlier 9000's & you can get a lot of car for >£2k.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
quarryeff,
I had this situation with my Aero(96 model), the first and only previous owner had said that the only things that had needed dealer visits outside routine servicing was a healthy appetite for bulbs in the first few years. This may well have been rectified as a result of these visits, as I've not had a bulb go in the last 18 months of ownership.

I'd still consider a later car....

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Had my '98 CSE for 12 months now and no bulbs blown yet, I'm thankful to say.

Does sound like a faulty regulator type problem to me too!

Newer cars should be more reliable than older cars as Saab will have spent more time fixing design weaknesses on the 9000's. Same normally goes for any model of car, so long changes are design improvements.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The voltmeter should be reading about 13.6 to 14.3 Volts with the engine running and the battery in a charged state. Less than that and it is under charging, not much more and it's overcharging.
If it is overcharging the battery will need topping up frequently.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts