Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all of my 9000's I have never needed to change the dampers....
My current aero with 145 k on it does not seem to show any signs of them getting tired
Should I retire them now ..they have had a very hard life ?
I would appreciate your experience /recomendations

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ylee,
I have clocked 150k with no noticable damper problem on original units. I would go for poly bushes (Check out Elkparts latest offerings)before damper replacement unless there was a problem.

If they pass the bounce test and handling doesn't seem affected, I'd save your dough and not replace dampers. Gas filled dampers (as std on 9000's) are generally very reliable, and last alot longer than conventional non-gas dampers.

As a general comment, never change just one damper, as this can seriously affect handling - always change both dampers per axle at any one time.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I guess that if you aren't uncomfortable with the handling, stick with it. I only changed mine at 230k 'ish. I'll go along with Paul D and say that as a first off try changing the AR bar bushes, so if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
done the poly bushes already...
I am just trying to anticipate problems and trying to decide what to do next
I am quite happy about the way the old dear handles but maybe its what I am used to
when the bushes were changed it certainly sharpened things up..
maybe new dampers would make a difference too..
I have noticed vibrations over certain road surfaces that I am putting down to dampers not damping and a sign perhaps they are on the road out ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.