Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following my radar detector question I'm feeling contraversial, so.....

On a dry, clear motorway, with you feeling alert and the car in good condition, you are late or want to 'stretch the cars legs' how fast would you all be prepared to travel, and what would stop you going faster ?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
80mph is quick enough for me to get where I'm going.

I don't boot it on the M or A roads, so I save my pyschotic epiosdes for empty country lanes. It's good demanding fun chucking the big Carlsson around the twists and turns.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Hmm, I'm slower now after getting nicked on a lovely sweeping and undulating C 'unclassified' road, 56% over the speed limit on easter sunday last year, A glorious day, but it cost three piojnts and £40.

That Aero goes round corners well, and it was just as well it was a corner he zapped me on!

Not proud, and now stick to 80.

·
Registered
169 Posts
On a gentle weekday morning, no wind, I've taken my 93 9000CD to 200km/h. She became more stable and quiet than ever, and had to be slowed for an upcoming corner. On trips from home to skiing destinations the car regularly cruises at 180km/h, with little real sense of speed, except the rapid passage of treees etc. past the side windows.

The above ties up with my comments on tyres and brakes! I've read with interest the advice on tyres, as my Yokohamas are no longer available as replacements.

Keep flying!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Since this is the 9000 Forum I'll start with my old 9000 (which I still miss greatly): 130 on a deserted French Autoroute - it was Boxing Day, so I figured I was fairly safe ...

In the 9-5 I've seen an indicated 235km/h before I ran out of road. Another deserted motorway, this time six o'clock on a Sunday morning on the M3 south of Cape Town.

Unfortunately my (Abbotted) C900 runs out of revs at around 120 - must get higher ratio primary drive chains & gears.

Cheers

James

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ive hit the end of the clock before (M74 in Borders at 1am)..... why does a car rated at 147mph have a speedo that only goes to 140? Best stat about said journey? Glasgow to Milton Keynes in 4 hours (incl. 2 petrol stops!!!)...

Of course Im really just making it up officer..... Eeek!

·
Registered
260 Posts
On a similar note, those of you who have pushed their cars to the limit, have you had any stability problems?
I had the chance to take my 2.3 Turbo to an indicated 140+ the other day, but over about 120 it felt distinctly unstable, and I wouldn't have liked to have taken evasive action!! It felt as though the back end was squirming, and this was on a prefectly good surface, straight track, little wind etc.
Anyone got any comments on this?
For what it's worth, I'm running 205/55VR15 Avon ZV1's, and the butterfly bushes and anti roll bar bushes have just been changed.
Thanks
Pete
'91 9000S 2.3 Turbo

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Stability. I had exactly the same feeling as Pete in exactly the same car, 9000 SE 2.3 Turbo (bells+whistles). I've taken it up to 130+, but after 120 I felt decidedly uneasy ... a lack of "feel" about the whole thing. As with Pete, the thought about having to take evasive action was what slowed me.

I didn't have any issues with the back end, because I carry up to 90 litres of LP gas over the bvack wheels, in addition to (say) a quarter tank of petrol.

Tyres - Pirelli P6000, wheels - original spokes.

I'm seriously considering (an Abbot type) handling upgrade. Any views on this?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
However, getting back to the original question .... I find that my LPG converted 2.3turbo gives excellent economy up to about 85, then it starts to drop off. I'd bear this in mind and - no cameras or polis being about - I'd probably cruise at about 80 or so, then every 20 miles or so boost things up to 100+ (maybe 120 on the M74) for 3 or 4 minutes at a time - keeping a very alert eye open for the above mentioned obstacles.

I believe that I would not be as alert after three or 4 minutes and the risk, to myself and others, would start to increase thereafter. Fot the same reason on long runs I'll drop down to 50 or 60 for a while, so's to give me a better appreciation of the "risks" inherent in my normal cruising speed.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Good comments gassy.
Dropping your speed off every now and again would help you notice the fact that normal motorway speeds are quite quick these days. Except the M25 in rush hours....
Pete, your butterfly bushes (and antiroll bushes?) are both at the front? What about the condition of the rear bushes, wheel bearings, wheel alignment etc.
My car was OK at 120 plus, just settles down into a lower more stable mode. I like to think the Carlsson bodykit helps out? By the way I've only done it once and would like to have far better brakes if it was a regular thing, say if on the continent, as braking distances go up dramatically.
Anyone going to the Abbott track day in Nov.???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.