Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing a 1999 9-3 2.0l turbo engine in my 1995 900se. I am debating how much money I should spend on my performance while the engine is out and your quarter mile times, 0 to 60 times, or any other performance stats would help me decide. So in other words how fast is your saab?
-elliot

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Don't suppose you'll be springing for a brand new B235R ... but iffin you could you'd get stock at the wheels figures something like this:

Anyway ... I'm sure others will give you their two cents shortly. And remember that^ is just what I would do in your place. Some of it has debatable performance benefits, and not all of it follows along the traditional tuning route, but it's good if you're a free thinker like me.

Keep on Saabin'

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
So in other words how fast is your saab?
 [/b]
Fast....

0-60 and quarter mile times aren't what Saabs are about...its about real world driving, loads of mid range torque that gets you past 5 artics whilst most cars struggle to overtake 2. Its the ability to accelerate fast in top gear without having to change down a couple of gears.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
0-60 and quarter mile times aren't what Saabs are about...its about real world driving, loads of mid range torque that gets you past 5 artics whilst most cars struggle to overtake 2. Its the ability to accelerate fast in top gear without having to change down a couple of gears.

Mark, I understand all of this but I had to ask 0 to 60 times etc because I doubt any of you know your 60 to 120 times or stats of that nature, where a saab would shine, so I did not ask. I know its hard to get those tires to grip in the quarter but it can still give me a feel for how fast the car is considering the traction problems.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by elliotarroyo:
[qb]I had to ask 0 to 60 times etc because I doubt any of you know your 60 to 120 times or stats of that nature, where a saab would shine[/qb][/b]
Well, 0-60 in 5.1 seconds and 0-100 (on the same run) in 12 seconds. So I guess 60-100 in 6.9...

Seems quite shiny to me

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]Well, 0-60 in 5.1 seconds and 0-100 (on the same run) in 12 seconds. So I guess 60-100 in 6.9...

Seems quite shiny to me          :fawlty:  [/qb][/b]
That time will take some beating Bill, your car does have awesome traction. Obviously some skilful clutch control is also required and that deserves a

My car's OK, 221bhp and 285lbft of torque, 361lbft at peak boost but that only lasts a couple of seconds at most. It needs sorting but I don't have the money and I can't even find a supplier who'll do an APC/Jetronic upgrade that's good for more than 250bhp.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
50-70 in 5th 5.0 secs
50-70 in 4th 4.0 secs

I'm actually faster in 5th than a Lotus Elise is in 4th

0-60, 0-100,50-70 in 3rd, 50-70 in 4th
Std Elise 5.5 17.5 3 .8 5.1

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
2001 - 9-3 TiD S with Abbott TiD Box.

Power: 155HP Torque: 340NM Torque (250lb/ft) (we'll find out this weekend!).
Top Speed: 210KM/H (132MPH) Indicated.
0-100KM/H: 8.2 seconds (0-62MPH).
80-112 in 5th Gear:  6 Seconds. (50 to 70MPH in 5th Gear).
Best Nurburgring lap time : 11:00 minutes.
----
1994 - Audi Porsche RS2 (standard ECU).
Power : 315hp @ 6500rpm. Torque : 410nm @ 3000rpm.
Top Speed : 270KM/H (168MPH) Indicated.

All figures below with two people and a full tank of fuel (65 litres = 65kilos) in standard trim on 98 super-unleaded and road tyres.

0 - 30mph : 1.6 seconds
0 - 60mph : 4.8 seconds
0 - 100mph : 13.1 seconds

Quarter Mile : 13.6secs @ 102 mph.

50-70mph in 3rd : 3.1 secs
50-70mph in 4th : 3.8 secs
50-70mph in 5th : 5.6 secs
50-70mph in 6th : 9.8 secs

Best Nurburgring lap so far : 9.0 minutes dead.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Interesting ERP. The STi's typically put around 220-250 at the wheels so sounds about right. They also have pretty cruddy gearing for highway speeds. 4th gear for them ends at 102mph, while 5th and 6th are both too tall to get into a "happy" spot on it's relatively narrow power band.

For comparison's sake, a stock Viggen will keep with a modded Evo on California gas at highways speeds. Beware the mighty Saab!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
5 Posts
mark----
0-60 times and 1/4 mile times are not what saabs are about...thats what everyone was telling me here but i took my stock tire 87t pretty far with the mods i have everyone here is very VERY impressed with the saab power

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fast! I can gain on a Subaru STI at highway speeds.
Did you race the 2004 sti? If so that is very very impressive and even if it was the later model 2002 or 2003's it is still impressive.
Show those AWD how its done on the interstate

·
Registered
374 Posts
2004 STIs come with 300hp stock

on highways, yes it would be easier to burn an AWD car...

but from stop...doesnt happen too offten...

i think my cars fast...but i dont wana spend money on dyno...id rather spend it on making the car faster!

a face for evry statement is cool...

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think Mark A's figures indicate the difficulty of answering the question sensibly.

Saab 9-3 diesel 50-70 in 5th 6.0 seconds
Audi RS2 50-70 in 5th 5.6 seconds

So you can check these figures and say that there is almost nothing between the Audi and the Saab

Pretty potent for a diesel, though it is, I think we would all agree that the Audi is the quicker car?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]What strangely heavy fuel you have in The Netherlands! [/qb][/b]
Is that not correct? One litre of water weighs one kilogram, is there any significant difference in the weight of petrol? (or have I misunderstood?)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb] What strangely heavy fuel you have in The Netherlands! [/qb][/b]
Is that not correct? One litre of water weighs one kilogram, is there any significant difference in the weight of petrol? (or have I misunderstood?) [/qb][/b][/quote]Actually petrol is a little lighter at around 0.75Kg per litre.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts