Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A stage 1 ECU upgrade to a 2.0lpt adds about 40% to the torque, but how far will the engine go before needing a rebuild?
Who has the highest mileage in a car with a chipped but otherwise original engine?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Don't know if this is what you are after, but I had my Saab upgrade fitted at 83k and the car has now done 112k with no problems. Still runs like new and revs to 6000.

I saw a post recently on one of the Saab sites about a 144k 9-5 which had been chipped from new.

If you are concerned about how long the engine will take the extra power, I shouldn't worry about it - bear in mind that most people would only use the extra power a fractional proportion of the time in normal driving. Saab drivers (with the odd exception) aren't boy racers, we just like a good
now and then.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If you are just going Stage 1 on an LPT the power is still far below what some of us are running at higher states of tune. So I really don't see any undue stress on your engine.

Anyways, I started tuning my 1999 9-3 at about the 30k mile mark. I am now pushing past 95k miles and no signs of engine problems. And for the record, the car is now 260 hp and started life as a 2.0T with 185 hp. The car was over 230 hp by the 35k mark.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Saabman has a 1998 2.0 9-5. It was chipped to 200 hp in the early spring and has recently been upped to Stage 4 - around 260 bhp? It has now done over 150,000 miles, but it was over 140k when first upgraded.

No reports of failure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a '94 9000 2.0 LPT CSE chipped by Hirsch.

From standard 150 BHP up to 215BHP.
Had her enhanced at 55K and ran reliably up to 97K when I sold her. (That was a sad day, but needed a smaller car, it was made easier as I took delivery of a brand new Mistsubishi Galant VR-4 pushing out 350 BHP later the same day, well it's a bit shorter and narrower!)

New owner is very happy with her and has reported no problems as yet. The old girl is now 107K young and still running fine.

In fact when I had her she ran better chipped, smoother and more reliable then when she was standard. I do miss her as the VR-4 comes with 'race-me' body work and all the NOVA-BOYS do try it on, and we can't have that!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello fellow saab drivers,

Last week i bought a fabulous 9000 from 1998 with the latest 165 KW engine. i bought the car via a saab dealer from its 1st owner. with complete saab history. now my question is , i like to buy a chip (hirsch) this 1st stage program. upgrade from 225 to 260 bhp. is it responsible because my car ran 125.000 K. Do i need something else to change? i read somewhere that they(hirsch) need my existing motormanagement to adjust there chip?

I hope that are not to many questions!

Greetings
Peter

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am told the head gasket on a 9000 is good up to 400 bhp. As most kits tend to sit under 300 Bhp and even saab themselves offer tuning upgrades I can't see it is an issue.

I have a 97 9000 2.3 eco with 148K on the clock and did quite a bit of research before opting for an upgrade from 170 to around 250. I've not spoken to anyone who viewed mileage as an issue, so long as the car is well maintained and you don't drive like a boy racer all the time.

Best of luck whichever upgrade you opt for, there's plenty of choice.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I think generally there have been more issues with gearboxes which tend to be the weaker link in the chain but at the lower end of tuning 200+ bhp most people don't seem to have too many problems.

Mike

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Originally posted by daking:
[qb]Hello fellow saab drivers,

Last week i bought a fabulous 9000 from 1998 with the latest 165 KW engine. i bought the car via a saab dealer from its 1st owner. with complete saab history. now my question is , i like to buy a chip (hirsch) this 1st stage program. upgrade from 225 to 260 bhp. is it responsible because my car ran 125.000 K. [/qb][/b]
Welcome to SaabScene Daking

I don't think you'll have any problems upgrading the performance with so few km's. There are 9000 Auto's that have been upgraded to that sort of power at 180,000 miles and are now well on the way to a quarter of a million miles!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you guys for your quick response.

So the milage is not a problem, thats good.
Al the history is in the service books, and is verywell maintaind by Saab and of course i am not a boyracer, i read somewhere here on this board, power is nothing without control.
I am not interested to take it from 0 to 60 mph in 6.4 sec, but my kick is on the highway in 4ft or 5ft gear to see the car wich is pushing my rear bumper getting smaller and smaller in my rearview mirror. This saab is god.

I wil get myself a kit and go to the dealer to put it on.

thanks
peter

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just a word of advice if you are going for a stage 1 upgrade, before ordering check your exhaust, I went for the stage 1 first fortunatly I checked my exhaust the same day and found a hole in the rear section.
The JT exhaust is possibly a better buy than the normal one as it should last you longer.....mine was stamped with Saab Unipart and only lasted 2 1/2 years.... you also get the added bonus of of a better sound when pulling away

Steve

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
In a similar vein, for those considering upgrades on high-mileage engines, it might be worth going the whole hog and spring for Stage 4 right from the word go.

That way you get a new exhaust and a new turbo, both of which could be on the way out anyway

And the money you've saved can go towards suspension & brakes ...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Originally posted by peter messenger:
[qb]i was not a boy racer..............until that is, i had a stage 3 maptun conversion, it is intoxicating. [/qb][/b]
I know what you mean, Peter. I find I drive far more sedately in my Focus!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Guys,

I contact the dutch guy from maptun and he said that they send my box to sweden to reprogram the software. The thing is i can`t drive for a week in my car. Can someone tell me whats the difference about getting a box from hirsch with the software already in it, or my box wich have to been reprogrammed.
I need my car you see or i have to take a rental wat wil cost me a euro 250 extra.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Peter,

The best idea for you would be to find a second hand ECU and send it to Maptun- or Hirsch. In the Uk they can be bought for about 200 Euros.

Original quesition... my 9000 had done 140K miles before I had a rebuild. I would guess at least 100k of those were modded miles.

Even then, the reason I had the rebuild done was because I had the engine out to do timing and balance shaft chains, so it made sense to do the psiton rings etc at the same time, even though they weren't particularly worn. It's now done 190K miles and still going strong.

The same can't be said for the gearbox however

·
Registered
130 Posts
As Mentioned before my 9K has a hirsch chip installed through Gordon Lamb Motorsport in the UK.
This is how the process works:
Hirsch take your Chasis number and have a chip programmed to it. (this is for security reasons, the chip will only work with your 9K and no other, it stops people trying to steal your car for the chip).

You turn up when it is ready and they swap the new chip for your old standard one. Your old chip is then sent back to Hirsch, and sits there until the next customer comes along and orders a Hirsch chip.

The whole process when I had my car done took only 2 hours and that included managment checks and road test.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This has answered a lot of questions I had about modding my new(ish) 2.0l 9k lpt. It has to be done
Is there anywere I can find links to all these SAAB chip upgrade co's.
Is price the only consideration? Apart from service, do they all do the same thing or is there more to it than that?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts