Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having all the trouble in the world launching this thing from a light....i tried taking off at 2k it takes way too long to hit boost and once it does it just blows the tires right off, i tried 3k just spun all the way through 1st, damnit i got to race the 02' Focus SVT....we went from 1st gear roll, he took off my boost kicked in too late(damn turbo lag is horrible on these things) when it kicked in i just spun, then hit 2nd he was 1 car ahed in second though i caought him and put my nose out, 3rd i got 2 cars in between, 4th 2-3 more, just imagine how much i would beat him if i took off with him and didnt spin.
my mods
stock downpipe, no cat,custom 2.5" exhaust with maglaflow muffler and stock style pipe, MBC spiking to 15psi, Little Xylene in Gas to keep the things safer

·
Registered
970 Posts
not sure if the panel would agree but I think spiking is an indicator of what might be 'wrong'.

I have found ion the past that if I have the P pot in my APC set to high in relation to the F pot, that I get a huge surge into the seat and loads of spin. Turning down to a more appropriate level (relative to the f pot), gives slightly less but more sustainable boost.
Of course you've other stuff on your car that I don't, so maybe there's someting with them too.

hth

edited for incorrect spelling of apc, duh!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Basically, forget about being quick off the line at the lights. It's not what these cars are good at I'm afraid. You've got a lot of weight and front wheel drive...
'nuff said? Their strength lies, as Saab designed and you have found, in the massive in-gear acceleration capabilities.

Having said that, a quick launch can be achieved, but it's very wearing on your clutch as basically you need slip it a lot to avoid rampant wheelspin that comes from the massive torque at lower (sub 3000) revs.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I'd say if you want to play at racing things from the lights (you are on the 1/4 mile strip yes?), then buy a light rear wheel drive racing car.

If you want to slaughter cars on the rear road from 30+ mph, buy a turbo saab.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
As MarkE pointed out.. you can't just mash the throttle to the floor, the dump of torque to the wheels as the turbo spools is usually too much for the stock suspension/tyre set up.

Firstly as MarkE says your going to have to modulate the throttle gentler and feed the torque in using the clutch.

Your also gonna have to look at how your suspension is set up and what tyres and tyre pressures you are using.

I've found that with an ECU upgrade rather than an MBC (stops the spiking and brings boost in gradually), with a good suspension set-up and decent tyres you can even launch in the rain with-out too much real difficulty, if you're careful.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
When I was doing the 1/4 mile thing the quickest getaway (without frying the clutch) was to dribble it of the line ,short shift into 2nd ,and then mash it and watch all the cars disapearing in your rear view mirror

·
Registered
706 Posts
I tend to use a little more clutch than a normal pull away and feed the throttle quickly, until your halfway thought first gear full throttle is useless.
I remember reading somewhere that you'll get better boost if you don't floor it but feed it in quickly.

No truly powerfull car can be got off the line quickly by dumping the clutch and flooring it, they will all wheelspin to much from the start (speaking from the experience of previously owning a powerfull rear wheel drive with LSD car).

Skiddins

1 - 9 of 9 Posts