Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am a techno idiot when it comes to mechanics, I took my car in today to have the rear Konis wound up. Problem is, the local garage could not figure out how to adjust them.
Is it obvious? If not, can I have some advice to point them in the right direction???

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
after you remove the shock you depress it to its full extent and turn the shock absorber rod (the silver thing not the yellow thing ) clockwise to turn it up ,anticlockwise to turn it down if the yellow bit is down wards..if you know what I mean

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
On the 9000, the front dumpers are adjusted with the key you receved with the package in place.. the rear dampers must be removed and rotate-klicked into a stiffer/less stiff position.

On the 9-3, you get two keys.. one is shallower than the other.. the longer key adjusts the tops on the fronts in place, using a stanley knife you cut the trim carpet covers in the boot over the rear damper tops and using the small profile key, adjust the rears in place.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
completely different .. the dampers on the 9000 are adjusted differently to the 9-3.. on the 9-3 they are adjusted whilest mounted to the car.. on the 9000 the rears must be removed from the car to be adjusted.

The key for the 9-3 may however work on the fronts of the 9000.. but I've never tried it.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Leon (agent K):
[qb]Wheres BillJ when you need him!  
 [/qb][/b]
In his garage, and by an amazing coincidence, adjusting the rear dampers on his Aero

Just to add to ylee's instructions (from which you can see that it's not obvious), remove the rubber, top washer, dust cover and bump stop. Rather than clamp the body and turn the rod (difficult to do), I clamp the rod in my workmate, then follow the instructions on Koni's web site, but I turn the body instead of the rod.

The instructions you need are at the bottom of the page for "SERIES 76, 80, 82, 84, 86, 8040 and 8240".

Once I compress the damper and engage the lugs (you can feel them engage as you turn), I turn it all the way anti-clockwise until it stops (fully soft) as a reference, then wind it the desired number of half-turns clockwise (it seems easier to count half-turns than full turns). Tonight I set them to two half-turns (one full turn). Previously they were at three half-turns and very hard (good for the track, but not great for handling on uneven surfaces). They're now firm, but not uncomfortable. I believe Abbott set them to one half-turn and that seems to be too soft to control the springs.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fantastic - what would I do without Saabscene! Will rebook the car into the garage next week. I need maximum grip on my trip to Le Mans!

Bill, I totally agree with you - I too do not feel that 1/2 turn is enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts