Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently back-flushed my cooling system (87t) and ran a core cleaner and back-flushed again before putting in fresh coolant and a new thermostat. I let it idle a while to make sure the new stat would open but it seemed to take too long. The needle was very near the red before it finally opened and the needle dropped rapidly but only to half-way. After driving it a bit the temp runs between half-way and nearing the red and fluctuates more than I care for. The stat is a 190 or 195 degree. Does it seem right for the temp to fluctuate at that range? Should I get a lower temp stat? Or does the problem lie elseware?

·
Registered
552 Posts
this might be of help.

Did you use a Saab thermostat? Also, remember that the temperature gauge on the dash is anything but accurate.

If this doesn't help, see under "thermostat" in the faq page - it's a common problem.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that Saabs stats were 2 stage  
 [/b]
I thought only C900 were. It was to have the heater core flushed by hot coolant before the engine was fully warm, for a quicker cabin warm up.

When I changed my Tstat, I bought a official Saab one (82C, for my '87 just like yours) and it really seemed just one stage.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haynes says 89c which is about 193f. I think mine is a 195f. I thought it was close enough. But since you mentioned yours was 82c that converts to about 180f. Big difference so I pulled the old one out of the trash and it's an 82c (made in London). Guess I'll be draining my freakin' rad again

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Actually, the 9000 stats are really variable state... from closed and the coolant just going round the block and heater core to fully "open" when things are really hot with flow to the matrix being severely restricted to most of it goes to the radiator, which is the better heat exchanger. In between these two extremes is it's "normal" operational state, so I suppose at a push you could call it "3 stage variable"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts